Thread: Great Canadian Modder Meetup

Overclocked

Default Great Canadian Modder Meetup

I'm looking into a venue to host a meetup of modders, not just Canadian modders. The venue will be in or around Toronto, Ontario.

I'm posting to see who would commit to a venue.

I am also posting to get some ideas as to what sort of 'events' to have.

I am looking for a venue that will provide Highspeed Internet (Yes, we do have that in Canada)
    Also, I may be looking at holding a 30-minute mod contest. Bring your own materials and he/she who completes a mod (not an entire project) in the time allotted wins a prize. Seems a little trite, but I'm just brainstorming here.
    Lunch could be served.

Lastly, would those interested in coming pay $5-10 to come? Venues aren't cheap and either is lunch.

Let me know.
    Thanks.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Water Cooled

I'd be in. I think its a great idea and we could get sponsors too. I could send out some emails regarding to that. The mod contest is also a great idea, but I would do it with materials included ( from sponsors ). A $10 fee would be a good price, I wouldnt mind. With some good sponsors, good speakers and a projector it would be a lot of fun

Edit: If you want it big, like a convention with vendors and different modding displays, not just for modders but for anyone interested in computers, im all for that too.
    Last edited by Frakk; 04-09-2005 at 10:04 AM.

Overclocked

I was thinking 50 people or so, not a huge turnout; something small and intimate (get your mind out of the gutter.)

Projector is handled. (Work has one) and as for sponsorship, I was hoping the leaders of the forum could point me in the right direction.
    -=-=-=-=-
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Overclocked

If you where to do it it should be like the same tools and same materials to make it even and see what person can output the nicest item.

Subsidize the cost as frakk mentioned with an entry fee.

Make it like tools you can have is the basics like rotary tool, ruler, compass, screwdriver, pliers, soldering iron.

Might have to talk to whoever is going to rent the area to you to on regulations on power tools and power requirements. also might be an issue if you have 50 people doing it with 50 soldering irons lol.
    Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

Overclocked

Default Re: Great Canadian Modder Meetup

Quote Originally Posted by Whisp
    If you where to do it it should be like the same tools and same materials to make it even and see what person can output the nicest item.

Subsidize the cost as frakk mentioned with an entry fee.

Make it like tools you can have is the basics like rotary tool, ruler, compass, screwdriver, pliers, soldering iron.

Might have to talk to whoever is going to rent the area to you to on regulations on power tools and power requirements. also might be an issue if you have 50 people doing it with 50 soldering irons lol.

All this is in brainstorm phase. Your same tools idea is good. Or, maybe to a no powertools mod. That keeps the playing field pretty level....

There may not even be enough response to do something like this, but I'm going to try.
    -=-=-=-=-

I would think about going .. Toronto is about a 3-4hr drive for me.

Overclocked

I'll put you on the list.
    -=-=-=-=-

Hmm .. Maybe if that damn ferry gets running again, that would make the trip even easier !

Overclocked

no kidding, eh?
    from what I heard, there was too much spending by Executive Officers. Too many lap dances and rub and tugs.
    -=-=-=-=-