Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supercar fanatics...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Supercar fanatics...

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    I'd love to do a GTM someday, but my biggest question is what sort of equipment/experience do I need to pull it off in a reasonable amount of time? I've never done work on cars, nor do I have any tools of the trade, so to speak. That being said, I have full confidence I'd learn quickly, but I wouldn't want learning mistakes to happen on a build like that.
    Never having built one, but having looked into it a good bit..

You need somewhere decently large to work on it and normal tools. I'm pretty sure there aren't any specialty tools required...well, no more so than if you were working on those parts in some other capacity. All the Factory Five kits come with (I hear) a pretty good assembly manual, so if you have a grasp of the basic principles I wouldn't think it would take overly much to learn what you need. The average time they quote for complete assembly is usually around 300 hours, which will obviously vary depending on your skill level. Depending on what kit level you choose, you may need a donor car for the engine, suspension, wheels, etc. So, my advice for someone in your position would be to first get a place to work on it, then get a donor car and learn what you need pulling out (and fixing if needed) the parts from that. By the time you're done with that you should probably have a good grasp of the skills that you'll need, as well as probably have accumulated the tools that you'll need. If you're buying your own tools, not just borrowing someone else's, I would recommend allocating at least about another $1,000, depending on the quality and quantity of tools you buy. Might be more if you buy high-end stuff (ie, Snap-On, etc), might be a good bit less if you buy used stuff, but I think buying all new, upper-mid-range stuff (ie, Craftsman, etc), $1,000 is a good ballpark for a basic set plus any special-case stuff you'll need. Then order the kit and put everything in it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I just hope I can fit a .50 Cal and RPG set up under the hood without messing up the aerodynamics..

You know...for when traffic seems a little too heavy.
    Last edited by BS Mods; 01-18-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: spelling
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Dude....ummm....no. What you need to do is go here and do what this guy did, except add wings and flight controls.
    http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)