Thread: LogIn/BootUp Slow down. Windows XP

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default LogIn/BootUp Slow down. Windows XP

Today when starting up my computer I noticed a considerable increase in start up time. The computer doesn't seem to be taking longer to actually boot windows but instead, the time it takes to log in after I put in my username/password has increased.

I'll try to explain it as best I can

I put in my UN/Pass and it starts to log in like normal then my desktop background appears and it seems to hang for a couple minutes before I hear the log in soundFX and then it hangs a little more before it loads explorer and the rest of the processes. Once everything is loaded up though, i don't notice any sort of slow down while using the computer and I haven't had any virus detections lately.

I ran CCleaner and Defragmented my hard drive to no avail. I'm going start up a virus scan after I head out for work. Just thought i would ask for some suggestions before i head out for the day in case anyone has any advice.

I'm running windows XP Pro
    Microsoft security essentials
    and I just downloaded SpyBot Search and Destroy.

Thanks for any input.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Default Re: LogIn/BootUp Slow down. Windows XP

Checked msconfig lately to see what all is running @ startup? might have some unknowing clutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Look at startup, you can actually do this through ccleaner. Under the tools menu look for startup.

Have you loaded any new programs lately?

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    Checked msconfig lately to see what all is running @ startup? might have some unknowing clutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrkSide View Post
    Look at startup, you can actually do this through ccleaner. Under the tools menu look for startup.

Have you loaded any new programs lately?
    So i took a look at startup and i don't really have that much that runs on startup. what is there is Mostly drivers, Google updater, and Zune Launcher. Just to give it a shot, I disabled all of them and it didn't help. I did leave Zune launcher and Google Updater disabled though because I don't really need either of those running at boot.

Spyware scan came up with nothing except browser cookies that it thought i should remove. I'll probably run a virus scan before I go to bed.

I havent installed anything new lately so idk what it could be.

Well, since you said it just started today I might suggest to make a boot disk and run something like Western Digital Diagnostics on it to see if it has some errors. You can run a chkdsk /r but I like the WD Diag since it is a little more descriptive and reads SMART Errors.

Quote Originally Posted by DrkSide View Post
    Well, since you said it just started today I might suggest to make a boot disk and run something like Western Digital Diagnostics on it to see if it has some errors. You can run a chkdsk /r but I like the WD Diag since it is a little more descriptive and reads SMART Errors.
    I've never heard of the WD diagnostics. Is it on their website? Should I be scanning to see if the Hard drive has issue or to see if windows is broken? I don't actually have a windows install disk to repair from or anything. I have a legit copy but it didn't get one with my laptop. I didn't buy the laptop new and i didn't receive a disk with it.

I tryed disabling all the system services via msconfig and it logged in almost instantly. Would it be worthwhile to go through them all one by one and see if maybe its just one service that's gone astray?

It could be a registry problem, if it gets too messed up it'll cause problems simmilar to that. I dont remember if CCleaner does scans of your registry or not. If not i'd sugjest getting one. RegistryMechanic is the best you can get for XP and i think RegMax for vista w/wo 64.

Try turning on thoes services one by one untill you get to the ones causing you problems. Disable them or delete if possible.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Thanks for the reply. CCleaner does have a registry cleaner that I run semi regularly but perhaps I'll give RegistryMechanic a shot and see if it does any better.

I was going to try fiddling with the services but haven't gotten around to it yet. Need to find time were I can sit down and reboot my laptop a couple hundred times lol.

Type msconfig in Run. In the window check Selective, click on Startup uncheck programs which you understand can be disabled to start in Windows right away. Restart the comp. Delete all icons on the desktop which you do not use often.
    Besides if you have installed Google Earth and 3D Screensavers and stuff like that they also are the reason to slower your comp to start.

Run Ad-Adware and Ccleaner. After that check prefetch, temp and %temp% in Run and delete all files there, open My Computer, right click on the icon and go to Properties, run Disk clean-up. Restart the comp and when you see the Windows logo keep typing F8 to choose Safe mode. After that go to System Tools and perform Disc Defrag.

Check if you can remove programs which you do not use often as well.
    Check the TOS for rules concerning links in signatures...