Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help Splicing in a SATA Power Connector

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

Default Re: Need Help Splicing in a SATA Power Connector

Update: I had some time to fiddle with this build today, and there is good news and bad news. I installed the Antec 520W PSU today, and it seemed to fix the wattage problem, since I finally got some spin-up sounds from the HDD & DVD drive. However, still no video...at first. I looked over the manual for the umpteenth time, when I noticed the RAM was supposed to go all in the Channel A slots. Sure enough, I had placed them in the wrong slots. After a quick switcheroo, the system powered up and I had video! Huzzah!

Moral: RTFM: Read the frakkin' manual!

Unfortunately, what appeared on the monitor was a "Bad BIOS checksum" error. I went to my other PC, downloaded the newest BIOS from ASUS on a USB drive, and restarted the build. BIOS Recovery came up, flashed on the new BIOS, restarted, and...another "Bad BIOS checksum" error. However, I know the BIOS flashed correctly, since the boot loader went from v.022 to v.025. Thus, I must have a bad BIOS chip that has been the culprit all along.

Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to get an RMA from TigerDirect, unless anyone know a fix for a bad BIOS chip.
    Last edited by DynamoNED; 02-03-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Typos & Grammatical Errors
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Wow, you are having no luck at all with this deal, are you?
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

usually when I get the BIOS checksum error it's due to a dead CMOS battery, and still works fine otherwise

@blueonblack: Yeah, it pretty much goes this way whenever I build my parents' a PC. I can build them for anyone else with nary a problem. But for some reason, whenever I set out to build my parents a PC, it's like Mr. Murphy decides to appear to beat me over the head with that Law of his.

The last PC I built them back in '06 was the same way; I had to go through 3 sets of RAM (the first 2 sets were on the QVL & didn't work, but the third wasn't and did work), a power supply (blown capacitors), and a graphics card (had a short from the factory) before it worked. Over time, the motherboard also developed a short where it would randomly BSOD Windows XP. Which is why I am building them a new one.

@SXRguyinMA: A friend of mine in my gaming clan suggested that, too. I'll definitely check it before I get an RMA, but given that flashing the BIOS updated the boot loader version but still came back with a bad checksum makes me think it's the chip. At this point, I'm about ready to take this motherboard to Miracle Max, since it seems mostly dead. (Of course, he'd just tell me to "Have fun storming the castle!"...whatever that means...)

UPDATE EDIT: Well, I went to Wal-Mart & got a pair of new CR2032 batteries. Popped one into the motherboard on this build, powered it up, went through BIOS recovery & flashed the BIOS, restarted per onscreen instructions, and I still get the "Bad BIOS checksum" error every time I power up the system, whether I flash the BIOS or not. Guess I'll be getting that RMA after all.
    Last edited by DynamoNED; 02-05-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Update with new, pertinent information

In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

UPDATE: I spent about 15 minutes on the phone today with ASUS, and they say the BIOS chip on the M4A785-M motherboard I'm using is removable. After checking that it was seated correctly and still having the same problem, they are sending me a new BIOS chip. So, yes, my board was indeed borked, but it's still fixable! Huzzah!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nice! That's great that they're sending you a new chip free-of-charge! I was going to recommend BIOS man...but it appears that they're not in business at the moment... Anyways, free from the manufacturer is always best.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV