Thread: fake liquid appeareance with resin?

Fresh Paint

Default fake liquid appeareance with resin?

Hi All!

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have build many a custom PC for myself, but usually with minimal case modding (I add a few lights and replace some fans, but that's it). I want to take the next step. My design is a bit ambitious.... After all, I have all the artistic abilities of your common household slug. But, I have big dreams!

The case I want to build is loosely based off stargate atlantis. Specifically, I was thinking of attaching a stargate to the side of the case (maybe have the fan in the middle of the gate) partially buried in rocks up the side of the case. I was planning on making the rocks out of a light weight hydrocal.

You really don't need to know any of the above, but I am briefing you for more questions that may come in the future. :-) The real question is next.

I also wanted some ancient design in there as well. If you remember the atlantis series, they had these tubes of water running up in the background. I am going to have water cooling, but I also want to incorporate some of the blue water pipes look (running from the bottom of the case to the top); but probably not hook that up to the cooling system (would take quite the pump, and a lot of messy tubbing).

So, I was thinking for these, I could use a colored resin like someone refered to in another post (http://www.creative-wholesale.com/Easy%20Cast.html) maybe in some clear plastic tubing.

Question: How can I get a bubble effect in that tube? It doesn't have to move - just casted bubbles would be fine.

Thanks in advance!

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: fake liquid appeareance with resin?

I would imagine that one way to get bubbles would be to fill the tube about 90% full, seal it, then shake the hell out of it - that'd have to catch some air I imagine....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Fresh Paint

But would it set that way, or would it settle?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

It would stay if you could shake it near it's cycle. that way it'd be pretty solid and the bubbles wouldn't dissipate. When I used that stuff to make the spark plugs in my Arctic Cat project there were tons of bubbles, and most worked themselves out before they were completely dry. It might be tough though.

Or, you could even use a small piece of tubing, or a medical syringe if you can get one, and actually implant the bubbles by hand when it's almost dry

I'd use fast cure polyurethane based resin. Mix it with a mixer and pour it at the lower end of the recommended temperature. Basically doing everything that they tell you not to do to make clear castings. You may want to try finding something already made though. Resin isn't crazy expensive but...

Sunbeam makes bubble tubes and liquid neon tubes
    http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/...id%20Neon.html

Taps makes an bubble illusion film that looks like it moving but it may be too big for your needs.
    http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=451&

This guy made his own with actual bubbles
    http://mods.xkill.net/making/Scientist/index.3.html

Check eBay for bubble rod - they use them lit staircase rails.

Lastly, give smooth-on an email or call. They're nice folks who get a lot stranger requests than putting bubbles in resin.

I've used the "Pour On" resin before it wasn't that expensive or hard to work with but it can be a little messy. But you could get some and just experiment with it to see if you can get the effect you want. It's made to self level to a smooth surface but if you wait until it's starting to get stiff to pour it you should be able to get bubbles to stay in it. When I used it I had to use a hair dryer and pin to get the bubbles out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Fresh Paint

Thank you for all the terrific answers. I will give one (or more) a try and see what I get. :-)