Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I may have killed it....

Fresh Paint

Default I think I may have killed it....

Hey guys,

I think I may have killed my computer... I just swapped in a new CPU. and upon reassembly I pushed the power button and the CPU fan turns on, the power light and HDD light turn on, and the LED on the Mobo turns on but I get no video or any HDD noise. Is there anything I can try to do to fix it or is it dead?

I have tried removing and reseating all the connections, Memory modules, etc but still no result.

BTW its a Dell Dimension 2400.
    Current Rig- Dell Dimension 2400 - 2.2hz Celeron, 256kb DDR - Current rig until new on is built

Rig in Progress- MSI G31TM-P21, 3.6ghz P4, 8gb ram, 160GB Seagate Barracuda, Nvidia GeForce 8500GT

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: I think I may have killed it....

Hmmm, what's the PSU and what's the new CPU? It sounds like the PSU might not be able to power it. Is there a system speaker attached? That should give you some info if it's the RAM.

EDIT:
    Also, try dropping the old CPU in; if it works fine with the old CPU, the PSU is definitely the problem.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

What kind of CPU? Could be a compatibility issue if, for example, you drop a multicore 775 CPU in an older 775 socket that doesn't support multicores you'd get power but no POST as well. Definitely try the old CPU again, but more info is necessary.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Make sure everything is plugged in. I forgot the 4/8 pin CPU power connector once and experienced similar results.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

You beat me to it, Lothair!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    What kind of CPU? Could be a compatibility issue if, for example, you drop a multicore 775 CPU in an older 775 socket that doesn't support multicores you'd get power but no POST as well. Definitely try the old CPU again, but more info is necessary.
    It could also be that you need a BIOS update to support the new CPU.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Fresh Paint

The new CPU is a Celeron 2.6ghz, when I put the old CPU back in it started right up. Is there any other way of testing the CPU?
    Current Rig- Dell Dimension 2400 - 2.2hz Celeron, 256kb DDR - Current rig until new on is built

Rig in Progress- MSI G31TM-P21, 3.6ghz P4, 8gb ram, 160GB Seagate Barracuda, Nvidia GeForce 8500GT

Anodized

Whats the new cpu? Also most dells have a series of post indicatior lights labledd 1 2 3 4 on them. Do these light and if so where do they stall out at with the new cpu installed?

For the most part receiving a bad cpu of any sort is a very very rare occurance, I'd guess its what alot of other folks have already said, bad mobo bios or not enough wattage to run the new cpu. In the case of dell they ship with crap power supplies, when I was working for MGM Mirage we would have 20-30 of them out with bad power sups at any given time.

As for what to do to figure it out... it all depends on what sort of resources you have to work with. If you have another 775 based system to test with it would work wonders for troubleshooting.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chevyboy_0 View Post
    The new CPU is a Celeron 2.6ghz, when I put the old CPU back in it started right up. Is there any other way of testing the CPU?
    If the CPU is bad it shouldn't do anything at all when you put power to it, so I'm putting my money on a wimpy PSU. Do you have another PSU you could try? If not, that model takes a standard ATX PSU, so you could pick up a decent lower-power PSU for ~$40. Here's a couple. 350W will be more than enough as long as you get a quality unit.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371033
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151077

Ooh, or this one if you catch it in time.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371034
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Some of those PSUs (Delta-built - the Hipros weren't quite as good) were solid enough, although it's worth trying a different one. I've only seen one fail out of the dozen or so I've dealt with, though that doesn't say much. I'm inclined to say that the PSU's good since it works with the old CPU, though you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    To elaborate: This probably isn't it, but is your new Celeron a Northwood or Prescott core (128k or 256k L2)? If it's actually a 2.6 GHz (even-numbered) then it's a Northwood and apparently should work; if it's actually a 2.53 or 2.67, it's actually a Celeron D and probably won't be supported, at least without a BIOS update if not a physical alteration of the board/CPU (a quick Googling led me here, which is discouraging). You say it's a 2.6, though, so I'm inclined to rule that one out, though I have to ask 'cos of your sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...