Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big One is Coming!

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default The Big One is Coming!

A Huge Blizzard is headed my way. The weather guys are saying we'll get a foot or more of snow. It'll start tomorrow afternoon with rain. The rain will turn to freezing rain in the evening and then to snow following that. The last time it was like this was almost 5 years ago.

There was so much ice that the power lines fell from the weight of it. I was without power for 6 days and my house dropped to 32 degrees. My hot water is heater is gas powered so I would crank up the shower and make it nice and steamy so I could change into my work clothes. My wife took my kids up north to my in-laws so they wouldn't have to deal with the cold.

My goldfish I had is still alive and survived that week of hell. I would fill one liter bottles with hot water and put the full bottles in the fish tank to act as heaters for her. I would even plug in a fish tank heater into an extension cord and ran the cable outside to my car where I had it plugged into an inverter.

This time I may opt for a hotel stay. I'll at least have my laptop to keep me entertained which I can charge in my car too with or without the internet.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: The Big One is Coming!

yea it's hitting us here on wednesday, they're saying 15-20" in my area. that will be on top of the 40"+ already on the ground

ATX Mental Case

What states do you guys live in. I'm in far south PA, on the border. I haven't heard anything of this storm.
    "Do or do not... there is no try."
    -Yoda

I've heard up to 24 inches in my area, so we've stocked up on supplies and made sure the cast iron stove lit. That stove is a great thing to have, we turn it on and close that room off. Then once that room is REALLY hot we turn on the blower for the furnace and it spreads the heat to the rest of the house. Or we just hang out in the living room which is right off the room with the stove.

i live in arkansas, it was 70 yesterday

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by farlo View Post
    i live in arkansas, it was 70 yesterday
    You sir, are a lucky man.
    -Yoda

nah, unusually warm the last few days, usually in the 30s, but snow is fairly rare around here.

I live in Arkansas as well, it was ~65 here yesterday.

but.....they are saying 1 to 2 inches of sleet and ice with 4-8 of snow on top of that. That is what really sucks around here. I can deal with the snow its the stupid ice.

Of course, that was this afternoon and I'm sure it will change between now and tomorrow night when it is supposed to hit.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by farlo View Post
    nah, unusually warm the last few days, usually in the 30s, but snow is fairly rare around here.
    Ya I vacationed there in the summer one year, and I remember just stepping out side and it was like I turned into the human torch.
    -Yoda

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Damn, more snow?? I find it's a lot less fun now that I have to clear my driveway.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV