Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: TBCS Charity Raffle. Helping one of our own in a time of great need.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default TBCS Charity Raffle. Helping one of our own in a time of great need.

Write up by Kayin and Oneslowz28

I think most of us have seen a post or two by PartyLikeARockstar, and most of us have seen him because of his work in the Project Logs part of the forum. Or we've found him in the Chatterbox, or in the forum chat hamming it up. It's a fair bet to call him a fixture of the site-he's normally somewhere to be found in amongst all this craziness...

However, a string of events has left our friend on his back, and we being the people we are here at TBCS, we've heard and we've decided to help him and offer an awesome contest at the same time. Simply put, we're holding a raffle-we'll help a good friend, and you have a chance to win some excellent hardware at the same time! We're offering quite a range of prizes, and tickets are priced attractively enough we hope you're tempted to buy a few-it helps a friend AND increases your chances of getting a sweet prize!

A personal appeal from PartyLikeARockstar himself.

Quote Originally Posted by PartyLikeARockstar
    Hey guys, a lot of you know me around here. I try to hop on now and again, and offer something witty, funny, or useful once in a while. My wife Johanna and I have a unique situation, and we are hoping that some of you on TBCS are willing and able to assist us.

Our situation is not unlike a lot of Americans at the moment: we're currently homeless, sleeping on the floor at a friend's house with a kid here, and another on the way. We didnt get this way from a lack of working, rather a bunch of bad luck encountered on the way to trying to make a better living.

In the place we're staying now, while our funds are low, we found a place that's safe, clean AND affordable. We need to raise a fairly substantial amount of cash, and we will be able to turn our lives around in the little home that we found. It's enough room for our kids not to be cooped in thier cribs because it's too unsafe and dirty for them to play. The "friends" that offered us the place we're sleeping have fleas, and they don't allow us to clean the place, claiming that it upsets them to clean. We spend hours in the car, just to keep our daughter out of the filth as long as possible. Social Services here won't help us, because we are working, and also even the homeless shelters won't take an "intact family". Any assistance would literally change our lives. We can afford the apartment, our only barrier is the startup cost. We have approached our church, and also they are not able to assist. So we are literally asking any and all family and friends for any assistance to reach our goal, with intent to pay every cent back.

Our Goal: $3000 USD consisting of:
    2 months security plus first months rent @ $645 per month
    Startup deposits for utilities (gas, electric, water, trash etc)
    Gas to pick up a bed and basic furniture (hoping to scour the free Craigslist for this)

Our Current Standing: $594

$115 in donations ($50 kindly donated by knowledgegranted!)
    $479 of our savings
    The prizes will be given away in groups based on their manufacturer. Since I'm sure you're dying to know what those prizes are, here's the list:

NZXT has donated:
    Phantom
    Sentry LXE
    LED String

Cooler Master has donated:
    HAF X

Gigabyte as donated:
    P67A-UD5

Thermaltake and TT eSports has donated:
    Armor A30
    Challenger Pro
    Azurues mouse
    BlacX 5G

In-Win has donated:
    Dragon Rider

SgtM has donated:
    Custom Airbrushing on 1 of the cases.

Kayin has donated a:
    OC-proven Sapphire 4870x2.

Our raffle "tickets" will be sold in the form of an entry into a drawing, just like we have done in the last few prize giveaways. Ticket prices are as follows:

1 ticket for $5
    2 tickets for $10
    3 tickets for $15
    5 tickets for $20

You can purchase as many tickets as you like and any donation is welcome, but to be entered into the raffle you have to donate at least $5. So there is no confusion I will list 3 examples of ticket sales.

$30 = 7 Tickets.
    $65 = 16 Tickets
    $100 = 25 Tickets

TBCS Administrator OvRiDe will be the middleman for this and all donations should be made through him. We are going to let this run until Midnight PST on 12 Feb, 2011.

To purchase tickets please send your donation via paypal to:

ovride[at]thebestcasescenario.com

Please send all donations as a Gift, that way Paypal will not deduct a fee from the donation.

We would like to thank all of the industry partners and individuals who donated items, time or web space to make this raffle possible. The help you have provided will definitely change the life of this family.

Prizes Donated By:
    Thermaltake
    Gigabyte
    Cooler Master
    NZXT
    In-Win
    SgtM
    Kayin

A special thanks to:
    Modders-inc

*Please note that while we would love to ship prizes internationally, we simply can not afford to do so. If you live in another country besides the USA or Canada and would still like to enter the contest, you would have to cover shipping in the event of winning a prize.
    Last edited by OvRiDe; 02-01-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Default Re: TBCS Charity Raffle. Helping one of our own in a time of great need.

The prizes will be given away in groups based on their manufacturer.
    Does that mean that a "winner" will receive all items from whichever said manufacturer or is each individual item a prize that can be won?

I assume that each raffle ticket counts as an entry? So if you were to purchase 5 for example, that roughly translates to 5 chances to win?

Finally, is it possible to setup a paypal "donation" link here? I've seen those before, such as on popular websites, and am just wondering if it would be possible?

This is fantastic! Great prizes for a great cause. I shall definitely be participating! Best of luck and warm wishes to PartyLikeARockstar and his family!

Default Re: TBCS Charity Raffle. Helping one of our own in a time of great need.

Hi everyone!

PLAR and I have been in constant contact for the last 2 years, having met through this site. We are good friends, and even speak on the phone at least a couple times every week.

Being a young family has challenges all its own, but to be facing them with so little resources, and to face impossible odds time and again is frustrating beyond belief. Because they are working, they dont qualify for assistance, including child care subsidy. Shelters and such wont help them either, because they are an "intact family".

I've been throwing website referrals to him for over a year, and do my best to give them whatever resources I can. I encourage everyone to throw any donation you can to them, above and beyond what you enter in the raffle.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    Finally, is it possible to setup a paypal "donation" link here? I've seen those before, such as on popular websites, and am just wondering if it would be possible?
    Why not just buy extra tickets to the value of your desired donation - the money all goes to PLAR and you get an extra chance to win a prize

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Agreed to that, Slave. I hope and pray that this grants some measure of relief. Many people out there need it, and it is good to see the community step up to try and help one of their own.
    *applauds*

Now, let's see if we can exceed the need!

-=TD
    -=:http://www.tech-daddy.com:=-
    (yeah I know... I need to update it... BUT I NEED TO MOD!!! )

Quote Originally Posted by Tech-Daddy View Post
    Now, let's see if we can exceed the need!-=TD
    Awesome!

I'm setting a challenge to everyone here for personal donations..

$200 from me.

*Edit to clarify.. I'm donating straight to the family, not buying that many tickets. Feel free to do so though!!*

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Vampires are also allergic to bulldozers BerticusPryme's Avatar

You can count me in as well. I may not have been as active as I used to be but things are about to change. I think all of the TBCS family can blow this out the water for PLAR.

I am in, How long are we leaving this open for?

EDIT: I figured it out... duh... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Haven't been here enough to really get to know "PLAR" but of course I'll give back to the community that has helped me. And maybe I'll win something in the process
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

i have never seen any group of people come together to help someone out like this. im honored to be able to be part of this web site.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide