Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about changing PC cases

Fresh Paint

Default Question about changing PC cases

I really hope I can get some help on this, I've heard it's possible but I want to be absolutely sure I know everything I need to know before I start spending money.

A couple years ago I bought a Gateway SX2800, and the specs were great. It had everything I wanted. Only problem is, the video card it came with requires a bit more power, and it was only recently (when the video card burnt out) I discovered that the power supply is NOT powerful enough to handle the system at all.

Now, I'd replace the power supply, except I want something a little more powerful. Problem is, the size of the tower puts all kinds of limits on what can be done with it. It's a pain, really, because the big selling point, even on Gateway's website, is that it's "all power" in a compact case. If only.

The dimensions on the thing, by the way: it's 4" wide, 11" high, 14" deep.

I've done some personal tinkering and modding of PC components before, but transplanting all the guts of the thing is something I've never done, and am not 100% confident I could do. Fortunately I know a guy that I trust who will happily do it for for me.

So, I want a new case, for lots of reasons. So I can have a better power supply to properly accomodate my system, so I can have better ventilation, so I can add to it at my leisure. Only thing is, I've had conflicting "opinions". They guy I trust and who will do the work for me says it really should be no problem, but he admitted he doesn't know all of what's out there for cases and to shop around for some other input.

I asked someone who has (supposedly) 20+ years computer modding experience and he said it absolutely cannot be done because the motherboards are "built differently". True enough, the mothherboard is mounted on the left side and the case opens on the right, but visually comparing it to an older computer I have, it looks really no different if just a little smaller and upside down.

I took some pics of the system and components I can upload if necessary, but really I just want to know if I need a certain type of case, or if it's not something I have to worry about, or if it's an impossibly lost cause.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Question about changing PC cases

It definitely used to be the case that a lot of small form factor systems had custom motherboards, but the last 5 years or so (at least) most manufacturers have just been using standard components to save costs. Most likely, what you have is just a normal mATX system in a fancy case. Since the PSU blew, which is usually the only thing left that manufacturers might still go custom on, I doubt there'll be many problems. Open it up and post a picture of the motherboard; we might be able to confirm that it's a standard design. That's really the only thing you need to worry about. As long as the motherboard is a standard design it should go in any modern case that supports that design.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I had a bit of a google and the answer is (unfortunately) "probably" ok. If this is your machine, it appears to be mini-itx based - there are some extended boards which use 2 PCI slots the way this one does. If it IS a standard mini-itx board, then it'll happily go into any case on the market. The one problem I DO forsee is that the rear I/O shield (the metal around all the ports on the back) isn't removable so you won't be able to popit out and put it into the new case - all that means is, worst case scenario, there'll be open space around the ports (this won't do any real harm other than letting dust in - and it wont be as pretty looking). I'd personally consider opening the case up, and trying to measure where the screws that hold it down are in relation to the back of the case, then pop into a local computer shop (or a friends house) and open up another case/PC and see if they seem to line up. There is NO doubt it CAN be done, if you're determined enough, but easily? That I can't promise unfortunately.....

As x88x said, post a couple pics and we can double check - there's every chance that the PC i linked to above is a newer generation with a similar model number....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

I concur with the above comments. It LOOKS like it has a standard mini-ITX mount setup.

Just make sure you buy a case that will handle the mini-ITX standard (most cases) and you will be fine. Just save your receipt.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Fresh Paint

Thanks both of you for the replies. These are the pics I grabbed yesterday, I can always try to grab more (it's very difficult to get a non-fuzzy picture on my camera, grumble.)

That's the interior of the beast... It's hard to get a picture of everything because it's so packed in there, and most of th motherboard is obscured by the harddrive and the DVD drive.

You can see how boxed in the video card is... If I seriously knew this is how the system was set up I definitely would NOT have bought it. This is seriously something that should be featured in a seminar of how NOT to build a PC.

Hopefully that's easy enough to see.

Good news, it looks like a standard mini-ITX mount. Bad news, I am not sure that IO plate is removable (can't tell from the pictures). Not a big deal if you can not use the IO plate, it will just leave room around the plugs for air flow... lol

BTW: that is not a bad build. I have seen much worse in a larger case. It looks like it has good air flow.

You should see my HTPC system and how packed it is.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    Good news, it looks like a standard mini-ITX mount. Bad news, I am not sure that IO plate is removable (can't tell from the pictures). Not a big deal if you can not use the IO plate, it will just leave room around the plugs for air flow... lol

BTW: that is not a bad build. I have seen much worse in a larger case. It looks like it has good air flow.

You should see my HTPC system and how packed it is.
    Yeah, the plate isn't going anywhere, but that's not somthing I'm too worried about if that's the worse case scenario. I've heard of lots of people that use mesh rigs just to keep certain things enclosed with personal mods, so maybe the guy who's doing it for me can cook something up if the gaps are too big.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Yup, looks like a standard mini-ITX. Most new cases have mounting points for those.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

lol - there's an echo in here - I coulda swore I already said all of that *grin*

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Yup, looks like a standard mini-ITX. Most new cases have mounting points for those.
    Awesome, that's good to know.

Thanks so much for the input. It really makes me feel so much better. Now the fun part, shopping for a new case!

Any recommendations?