Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning: Tech Support Rant

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

Default Warning: Tech Support Rant

Some of you who've read the Motherboard section of The Workbench may know I'm having an issue with an ASUS M4A785-M board I was using in my parents' new computer. When I originally called into tech support, the tech politely listened while I explained the issue and what I had done to test for certain problems. After a couple of quick tests, he concurred that I had a corrupted BIOS chip, transferred me to the department where I could get a replacement, but they were not available, so I left a message. (Thus far, it has not been returned.) All in all, a relatively pleasant tech support experience.

<rant>
    Later, I called into support again because the tech never gave me a case number. Turns out one was never created, and no record of my previous call existed. However, this new guy, whose English was barely understandable, insisted that the issue was because I was not using a 600W+ power supply. Having already tested this problem with my 650W Corsair PSU (which is less than 6 months old) and still encountering the exact same problem, I knew this was not the issue. After I explained this to him 3 TIMES, he then insisted it was a memory issue, which I had also already tested with the last tech support guy. Long story short, after 95 minutes on the phone, he finally told me I would have to RMA the board for "unspecified technical problems." After I politely mentioned that all I really needed was a new BIOS chip, he claimed that they were not user-serviceable (despite being clearly removable and there being a section of the support site dedicated to replacing them). I asked for his supervisor, but he claimed it would be a 45 minute wait due to call volume. At this point, I just accepted the RMA number, because I didn't want to deal with the guy anymore. But at least he gave me a case number!

So, it appears I will have to RMA this motherboard, after all. This means at least another 2-3 weeks before I can finish this build for my parents. At this point, my mom just wants to "buy a computer from Wal-Mart that works" and that hurts me as a modder. So, to all you tech support people: I realize you have a script you are supposed to follow, but when the user tells you that they have already done these tests and they didn't fix the issue, listen to them. When you blatantly lie to the customer, it undercuts your credibility. When you assume that your customer is technologically-illiterate and he/she proves otherwise, stop treating them like they are.
    </rant>

Thanks for your time & patience.

EDIT: I believe I forgot to mention that I checked with every reputable power supply calculator I could find, and even at max load, the system I'm building for my parents should never pull over 400W of power. Why I would need a 600W+ PSU is completely beyond me; the 520W Antec I'm using should be more than enough.
    Last edited by DynamoNED; 02-11-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Added pertinent information
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Default Re: Warning: Tech Support Rant

I feel your pain.

I deal with a lot of Supermicro boards and have seen some simple problems as well as "that absolutely cannot be the motherboard" issue (yes it was a motherboard issue). It turns out I know more about their products than any of their tech support people do. When I call in, I ask for one specific person and either wait or leave a message. I am actually testing their online support system now and one issue has drug on for almost a week now (I am recording all results to send to the VP).

I have a similar situation with Dell. Once they take my company name and contact info, they transfer me directly to the top tier support with no further questions. This is due to past experiences (that were recorded) and the amount of money we spend with them.

My past experience with ASUS has been very good. I have had 3 BIOS issues with my striker extreme and the last 2 times I just contacted the bios department directly. The last time they sent me _2_ chips. Just in case...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Too bad you don't remember the one guy's name.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Next time, request to speak to an American. Most companies will honor this request.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

You know, there are people who sell just bios chips preflashed for like 5-10 dollars. You may want to look one up.

I used to make them for anyone who wanted, but I don't have an unsocketable bios machine with me at the moment. If you have a spare machine, look up hotflashing if it's simply a corrupt image.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    Next time, request to speak to an American.
    Yes, you should ask to speak to someone else, but an american? this tech is clearly an idiot who shouldn't be talking to people whose language he doesn't speak, his nationality is irrelevant!

Ugh, Tech Support! The horror...the frustration...the wanting to smack them upside the head through the phone...

I understand that companies outsource to foreign countries to save money,but saving money seems to be their biggest priority. If the customers calling speak English, the tech support personnel should also speak English. I don't mean they should just kind of speak English; I mean really understand the language. I don't know how many times I've called tech support for various companies and for various reasons. I always get someone who doesn't really grasp the language or least that I cannot understand.

I'm not trying to say that everyone in the world should speak English. I just believe that if they are serving English speaking customers they should be able to both understand the customer and be understood by the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
    I'm not trying to say that everyone in the world should speak English. I just believe that if they are serving English speaking customers they should be able to both understand the customer and be understood by the customer.
    I've worked as a supervisor in a tech support call centre outsourced overseas and I agree 100%. This was the very first pre-requisite in our hiring policy, and I totally believe in it.

However, that made it even MORE annoying when customers asked to speak to someone 'in their own country'!

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    I've worked as a supervisor in a tech support call centre outsourced overseas and I agree 100%. This was the very first pre-requisite in our hiring policy, and I totally believe in it.

However, that made it even MORE annoying when customers asked to speak to someone 'in their own country'!
    I never specify which country I want someone to come from. I just want them to truly speak English. There are plenty of places where English is spoken.

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
    Ugh, Tech Support! The horror...the frustration...the wanting to smack them upside the head through the phone...
    That is a quite succinct way of putting how I felt. It's pretty sad when the PEBKAC error is on the tech support end of the phone. (If you don't know what a PEBKAC error is, )

At this point, I think I'm just going to RMA the board because I'm sick of dealing with it. What I'm not sure about is whether to get another board to finish the build and just have a spare when the replacement comes, or wait the 2-3 weeks and finish the build then. Given my mother's frustration about not having a computer, I'm leaning toward the former.

On that note, anyone got a AM3 board they want to sell and can ship ASAP? Or should I just buy new off the 'Egg or Tiger?
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.