Thread: Sawadee Krab

Default Sawadee Krab

Hello my long-lost TBCS champions! I have been quite absent from the site for a while due to being crushed under the weight of residency hours. However I did get a couple of weeks off to go trample around so I flew over to Thailand and took in some much needed R&R. It was absolutely awesome! I cannot stress this enough, if you have the time go as you will not regret it. It's affordable too, places in the South Islands are a bit more but still far cheaper than USA or Europe. If you do go, please take some time to become familiar with Thai customs because you can look quite foolish if you don't know some basic principles. But Thai people are extremely hospitable and quite forgiving too, so if you do something silly they won't give you too hard of a time. Some people have asked me about safety, especially given the riots in Bangkok last year (apparently the embassy recalled their staff and issued a travel advisory to stay away for now.....pussies). The countryside of Thailand is dangerous only in terms of disease, so check the WHO and CDC websites to get an idea of how to protect yourself. From Thai people, you are safer there than any suburb of America, they are a very non-threatening people and they love Americans. If you run into trouble, you can ask anyone for help and you will find it. That being said, don't EVER get into a fight with Thais. Despite their peaceful nature they are very commonly extremely tough and skilled in hand to hand combat. If you piss one off, apologize and forgiveness will be yours. Persist, and you will wake up in the hospital. Assume that everyone knows Muay Thai. I put together a film with some pics and video from the trip and thought I'd share it. Hope I get enough time to frequent the mean streets of TBCS more often as I sure do miss you guys. Peace out!

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Default Re: Sawadee Krab

jdbnsn....why does this name sound familiar?

j/k! Glad to see you're still alive and kickin Jon!

Edit -- so this is home.....the only one I know....
    Last edited by Drum Thumper; 02-03-2011 at 01:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

This video is full of awesome! Great job by friend.

Thanks Curtis!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

That vid is full of win. You're gonna have to share some of your video-fu skills. Glad to see you around (even for just a little while)!

Awesome video Jon! Bangkok is one of my favorite places in South East Asia. Its where I got the stingray that I'm using in my mod. If you get a chance next time, check out Bali.

Thanks guys! I appreciate that, and yes I have also heard that Bali is the Bomb. Someday... And as for the video-fu skills, credit belongs to all the cool AE tutorials on the web, most of it is based on those (several scenes are down-right copies) and of course most notably is videocopilot.net
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Bali certainly is the bomb.... It's the #1 place for Australian bogans!
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Dude, that film is truly amazing. Just outstanding work. Glad you got the chance for some R&R, sounds like you needed it!
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Thanks BoB! I've been having fun learning motion graphics, it's a bit of a different ballgame than photoshop. I think I need to change my title to "I suck at After Effects" now...

Here is another one that I got to use today for a cardiology lecture. One of the neurosurgeons saw it and is asking me to make some videos of brainsurgery footage he shot. That should be fun, if people don't barf while watching.