Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I have not been active much- My current mod...

Default Re: Why I have not been active much- My current mod...

Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I thought the cabinets looked quite nice without handles. Although, I suppose that would make them quite difficult to open? HA. Oh well. Form and Function usually wins out in the end. :p

I also like the clean look, but yes I need to open them too... LOL!

Are the two other cabinets going above the window, connecting to the small piece on the wall there?

The box above the small cabinet to the left of the window needs some trim, then a shelf will connect the top of the cabinets beside the window.

Any plans for trim on the window? Perhaps just a stained board along the bottom with a bit of overhang? Might help tie it in better?

We are going to put granite in the bottom of the window to match the counter tops. That should tie things together. That and the back splash is going to be vertical glass tiles (as of last weekend that is...).

Are you going to replace that.. uh.. "unique" light fixture? :p

LOL! Yes the old ceiling fan (I know it does not have blades) is gone once we find the right light.

Love the Knife Holder by the way! That's hilarious!

There is a unique story behind that knife holder. See below.

How are you going to reach those top cabinets!? Do you have a step ladder for easier access or are you just really tall? Perhaps it's not as high as it looks?
    It is as high as it looks and even though I am tall, I need a ladder. Given the height of the ceilings throughout the house (15' peaks), they don't look out of place. I thought the cabinet over the fridge would look monstrous, but it ties in well. I call it the cabinet monolith...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    You do the drywall? I hate doing drywall. Well, the mud sucks...

I do like the handle-less look. Just take a router, and cut the bottom edge of the doors on the inside for a place to grab. Leaves a clean look.
    My first job ever was hanging drywall. I am good at it, but I am a better mudder. If you would have seen the drywall before finishing you would never have thought it would come out this way. My house is a combination of add ons, dating back to 1906 so nothing is level or straight. Hell my wife knows how good I am with drywall mud and even she was worried...

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    Excellent work! I too love the dark wood. Did you make the countertops yourself also?

+1 on the knife holder
    Plywood counter tops for now. Until we can afford the granite we want. That is one thing we never priced before starting this remodel.

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Wow Terry.. it looks great! Did you make the cabinets or were they a knock downs? At first look I thought the counter tops were butcher block. As for the granite, I am in the same boat, it never fails the one I like ends up always being the most expensive. I have seen some really nice quartz counter tops that are priced pretty good, and I hear they are low maintenance as well. I guess one of the hot trends now is soapstone, which I do like the look, but the constant maintenance does not appeal to me at all. Floors look GREAT, are they hardwood. We ended up using the Allure Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring and it came out great, and went down easy.

Looking forward to moar pics.
    The cabinets were not made by me. They are semi custom made due to the odd dimensions and placements (the corner was/is the main problem area). BTW, the cabinet to the right of the window is higher than the rest to allow room for Taps... 3 of them.

I am not sure why people are using soapstone for countertops. Worst idea ever. That stuff breaks and chips so easy plus it stains and has to be sealed constantly. I am going to abuse my kitchen to the best of my ability and need it to hold up for a while.

This is the Granite we have selected. It is called Victoria Regia;

This is the exact piece we are looking at. We love the mix of colors and patterns;

Yes the floors are hardwood. Pre-finished 3/4" Casa De Colour. If I was building a new house I would not use pre finished, but I don't have much of a choice here. They are going through the entire house except for the bathroom.
    Last edited by Airbozo; 02-09-2011 at 11:46 AM.

OK here is the knife holder story;

I had a conversation with my wife a couple of months ago concerning a goof I made when installing the floors (I know it is there and if you were to walk across my floor you _may_ be able to tell). I told her it was just another pin in my voodoo doll. Then I had to go about explaining how I take all of my mistakes to heart, fix the ones I can and learn from the ones I cannot fix, but I never forget. I equate those mistakes as pins in my proverbial voodoo doll. If I can fix it, the pin comes out. Otherwise they just stay and some of the bigger ones haunt me until I fix them (I fixed several MAJOR pins when remodeling this kitchen).

Last month she was looking for a birthday present for me, knew I needed a couple of new knifes (you can never have too many) and saw this:

They also make a version that is a pen holder...

Looks awesome man. Redoing kitchens can be a pain in the ass... but looks like it came out awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Wow that's looking awesome Terry! That granite is some of the best looking I have seen. So glad you did not go with soapstone. It's whats being installed in the home I am building and I do not like it at all. It looks good, but I have a thing about oily surfaces possibly touching my food and even though I know the mineral oil soaks into the stone, in the back of my mind I see it covering my food and some how giving me cancer years down the road.

Those cabinets look amazing and I really love the placement of the stove. The whole kitchen looks like it is very comfortable to cook in!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    Wow that's looking awesome Terry! That granite is some of the best looking I have seen. So glad you did not go with soapstone. It's whats being installed in the home I am building and I do not like it at all. It looks good, but I have a thing about oily surfaces possibly touching my food and even though I know the mineral oil soaks into the stone, in the back of my mind I see it covering my food and some how giving me cancer years down the road.

Those cabinets look amazing and I really love the placement of the stove. The whole kitchen looks like it is very comfortable to cook in!
    Thanks!

I have the same feeling about the oil. I have a large butcher block and it just feels odd sometimes dumping oil on a cooking surface.

The placement of the stove was pretty much what took so long in designing the kitchen and cabinet layout. You would be surprised how hard it was getting someone to understand why we wanted the cooktop there and why that was the only place to put it. I have a bunch of friends in the catering and restaurant business and took their advice on layout. They also looked at me funny when I told them how I wanted to lay it out and love it now that they can see it.

The downside is that the corner placement of the cabinets took some interesting mods to the walls... shown here:

I built that support while the wife was at work and when she walked through the door I was hanging off of it to test the strength...

The corner setup is the main reason I do not have the last door on the small cabinet and why it opens from 2 sides.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Heheh, nice. I admit to using similar testing measures for various wood structures and supports I've built.

Re handle-less cabinet doors, if you leave a bigger gap between the doors, it works out great. A while back, my parents built a house, and my dad built all of the cabinets for the kitchen himself. That's what he did with the doors; just left ~1" between each door, and routed out a handle on the back edge. Looked great. I'd post pics of it, but they moved out of the house ~12 years ago.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I agree about the soapstone - I actually really like some of the modern polished concretes you get

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    My first job ever was hanging drywall. I am good at it, but I am a better mudder. If you would have seen the drywall before finishing you would never have thought it would come out this way. My house is a combination of add ons, dating back to 1906 so nothing is level or straight. Hell my wife knows how good I am with drywall mud and even she was worried...
    Oh, you're one of THOSE guys. I always enjoy watching a pro at mudding. Look like they aren't paying attention, but when its done, you MIGHT have to tap it a couple times with a sanding block.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Oh, you're one of THOSE guys. I always enjoy watching a pro at mudding. Look like they aren't paying attention, but when its done, you MIGHT have to tap it a couple times with a sanding block.
    Pffft sanding is for noobs...

When I am done with my 3rd or 4th coat, I go over it with a slightly damp sponge to smooth it out. I am one of the few people that texture my walls for looks, not to hide my tape. Then again I learned from a guy that could plaster a rock wall and make it look like glass.