Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Build My Computer

Default Build My Computer

Long time no see boys and girls! I've been really focused on school and motorcycles over the last year and a half, and those two, er... hobbies, take up all my modding money.

But, rejoice, because thanks to our incredible support for PartyLikeARockstar, I will soon be the recipient of the Thermaltake and TT eSports package that includes the following:

Now, I've been loving my Thermaltake Element G for over a year, but I've been yearning to downsize to a MicroATX mobo and case, and try out some AMD chips and graphics cards. Now that I'm getting the A30 soon, that can soon become a reality, but I need your help!

A year and a half out of the game is a long time to not pay attention to motherboards, chips, and graphics cards. I frankly don't know what to get to fill that case. Here's what I need:
    • CPU
    • MicroATX motherboard
    • RAM
    • Graphics card that will fit in the A30
    • CPU cooler

Simple right? Yea, but here are my requirements and specs:
    • I'll be running Win7 x64
    • I'll be reusing a 500GB and 250GB WD HDD, both 7200RPM.
    • Best bang for the buck. If you can convince me that the $200 graphics card has infinity more features than the $180 graphics card, I'm cool with that.
    • USB 3.0 on the motherboard (otherwise the BlacX is pointless)
    • I would prefer AM3, as I'm simply tired of Intel
    • Graphics card needs 2 DVI outputs (I know this is standard, but just saying)
    • Total cost of all 5 pieces must not exceed $600, and the lower the better, and I'm shooting for no higher than $450
    • 4GB RAM minimum. I'm fine with more, but only if it is worth the price increase
    • The quieter the better. The system doesn't have to be whisper quiet, but I don't want a screamer.
    • I want good graphics capabilities, but it doesn't have to be cutting edge. I'll be playing Dragon Age 2 soon, and wouldn't mind being able to play at full settings on 1680x1050.

I don't really care about or have any preference on:
    • RAM speed
    • Overclocking
    • Core unlocking on the motherboard is cool (especially if you recommend a Phenom X2), but not necessary
    • This computer will be very close to a LG 42" 720p plasma HDTV, so HDMI outputs would be cool, but not required (I have a PS3).

I think I've included all the necessary info, and more, but feel free to ask any other questions. I used to love putting together systems like this when other members asked, but I don't know enough about current products anymore to do so (I can do it with motorcycles though!). Also, I'll probably try to review some of the products if Oneslowz28 will let me
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Default Re: Build My Computer

for graphics if you are only playing at 1680x1050 go for the 6850 for sure, more horsepower than you would need for any modern game (heck, im using it for 1080P gaming with a 2nd monitor attached) and supports full hdmi instead of the mini hdmi that nvidia has been slapping on their parts.
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    for graphics if you are only playing at 1680x1050 go for the 6850 for sure, more horsepower than you would need for any modern game (heck, im using it for 1080P gaming with a 2nd monitor attached) and supports full hdmi instead of the mini hdmi that nvidia has been slapping on their parts.
    Feel free to link me to specific parts.

Also, for the USB 3.0 stuff, the MoBo doesn't have to natively support it if you find a better deal on something else. Just find me a nicely rated/priced USB 3.0 card that will fit in that case and with whatever graphics card you find me.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Easy.

GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2

XFX HD-685X-ZNBC Radeon HD 6850 Black Edition 1GB

Corsair XMS3 4GB

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2ghz

Corsair H50

$525, but with $40 in rebates and a $10 gift card, bringing us to a grand total of $475. Win!

I've suggested a H50, but you'll be able to get a cheaper air cooler - however, I don't know what'll fit in that case. That's wahat'll get you down to $450 or lower. The RAM is cheap, the processor is a beast and you'll easily get it to 4Ghz, even in a micro ATX case. Personally, I'd stick with the h50 so you can crank the processor up to the max!

The GPU is the thing you'll regret skimping on - either go for a 6xxx series- you'll get less bang for your buck, but greater forward compatibility, and most importantly, it'll be cooler and less power hungry in that little case.

Or if you want real value for money: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-375-_-Product

That's a LOT of performance for the money

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    Looks good! Think I should just slap a USB 3.0 card in there?

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming. You can tell from my system specs that just about any proc will be an upgrade, so does anyone think I should dumb down the CPU or GFX card in the essence of cost savings? Or upgrade that mobo for any reason?

Where's the watercooling kit?

Also, the things you've missed. Seriously. We should catch up sometime.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Sorry didn't read about the USB3 part. That alone ramps up the price by $50 on the mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128445

You won't be able to put add-on cards in most micro-atx motherboards because your double-slot gpu will hog the slots!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231253

No OC, so that will save you back some on the board costs and free shipping to boot.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231253

No OC, so that will save you back some on the board costs and free shipping to boot.
    ugleee. Only $4 cheaper after rebate too!

agreeed. but that mobo is a no go... DONT DO IT! not that its a bad mobo, but because its poorly laid out, the sata ports will interfere with the GPU placement.... see blue storm for more detals... also, only 2 ram slots...

for mobo i would say

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130308

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157192
    with the 2nd being better for overclocking, while the 1st has 90* sata ports. both use DDR3 and USB 3

and because all the lighting is blue in your case...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231438
    I love this ram!! it overclocks like a champ if you need it to, and has ram sinks which should help with heat dissipation in that little case.
    Not dead yet