Thread: WinXP wont boot from CD: Gateway 1450 Solo

Fresh Paint

Default WinXP wont boot from CD: Gateway 1450 Solo

I recently picked up a Gateway 1450 Solo for a smoking deal with no OS on it. I loaded Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox on it and it works great except for the battery wont hold a charge. Anyways, i have a copy of WinXP on a disc that I want to load on to it but when I put the disc in the drive and boot it up I hear the drive spinning but then it wont boot to the installer, it just goes straight to Mint. I have verified the disc in my desktop and when I boot that up it comes up to the WinXP installer. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?Im thinking I may just format the HDD and start from scratch but I'd like some advice.
    Current Rig- Dell Dimension 2400 - 2.2hz Celeron, 256kb DDR - Current rig until new on is built

Rig in Progress- MSI G31TM-P21, 3.6ghz P4, 8gb ram, 160GB Seagate Barracuda, Nvidia GeForce 8500GT

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

Default Re: WinXP wont boot from CD: Gateway 1450 Solo

It may seem like a stupid question, but have you checked the BIOS to see what the boot order is? It could be that the hard drive is set as the first boot device, so that the laptop skips the optical drive entirely after detecting the Linux install on the hard drive.

If that turns out to be the problem, go into the BIOS and set the optical drive first in the boot order, with the hard drive second, then try loading WinXP on the machine.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Fresh Paint

I forgot to mention that in my first post, yes the boot order has been changed, the Optical drive is the first in order.
    Current Rig- Dell Dimension 2400 - 2.2hz Celeron, 256kb DDR - Current rig until new on is built

Rig in Progress- MSI G31TM-P21, 3.6ghz P4, 8gb ram, 160GB Seagate Barracuda, Nvidia GeForce 8500GT

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Did you do a f12, or whatever the boot menu is?

Sometimes, that forces the CD to load.
    For me, that is.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Fresh Paint

AmEv- That did it thanks, now she is up and running again just need a new batt and I got a nice new Laptop