Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GEOHOT takin it to tha streetz dawg

Default Re: GEOHOT takin it to tha streetz dawg

Quote Originally Posted by Beta-brain View Post
    ...the video that was posted on youtube by George Hotz and later taken down by him in compliance with a court order was obviously watched by a lot of people and Sony have now demanded that Google hands over the IP addresses and any identifying info on those that watched the video on youtube.
    This info was in this weeks Micro Mart magazine.
    This can't be true. Perhaps Sony doesn't know how IP addresses work?
    Dear Sony,
    I'll save you the trouble, because Google won't give you that info even if they still had it: My current exterior IP is 172.168.1.250... I don't know if that's what it was when I watched the video or if it will be the same in 4-5 hours, but go ahead and ban that from your PSN. That's actually the IP to the T1 modem on this floor of my apartment building I think...it's hard to tell with all the layers I'm behind... It's not static anyway and the whole system reboots every night.
    Best of luck,
    A Non-customer

I suppose I'll concede the point that despite Geohot being an ass, Sony is a bigger ass. I still don't believe geohot was completely right to do what he did, but I suppose Sony could just ban anyone that takes advantage of it from the PSN (along with anyone that watched the video). That solves the major issues I have with this hack. The only thing that convinced me of this was the fact that x88x actually will need that info when he makes the PS3-based-beer-fetching-multi-movie-bot that he promised and is so excited about:
    Quote Originally Posted by x88x
    TBCS, I promise to build that PS3-based-beer-fetching-multi-movie-bot that I've been talking about in an effort to prove to the world that good things can come of this incident. I'm so excited, I'll get started immediately!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Things that make you go dohhooo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

In Micro mart magazine last week they reported that a judge in San Francisco had given Sony permission to obtain details of anyone who downloaded the files needed to hack the console, Sony really wants the IP addresses from web-hosting company Bluehost, meaning it can trace the downloaders live but it's believed the real reason Sony wants this info is so they can prove just how many people took advantage of Hotz' hacking software.

The more people who have downloaded the software, the less likely Hotz's claim that his software was for the "forum state" as claimed.

It doesn't look like Sony are going to let this drop and I also read that some other ps3 hackers have/will be releasing similar hacking software which may or may not work but might attract Sony's attention and take some heat off of Hotz.

Quote Originally Posted by Beta-brain View Post
    The more people who have downloaded the software, the less likely Hotz's claim that his software was for the "forum state" as claimed.
    ... -_^ ..I hate lawyers... (no offense to any lawyers on here...do we have any lawyers on here?) That's just an absurd statement, perpetuated by executives who have no understanding of how information travels on the internet.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

lol
    --Benjamin Franklin