Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got laid off

Default Just got laid off

I just got laid off today from my job at the college due to budget cuts... I have already shot out 8 resume's, some of which are for IT positions. Any interview tips? I'm freaking out a teeny bit, as I have constantly had some kind of income since I was 15 years old.
    Not dead yet

Default Re: Just got laid off

Tips:

Be confident, but not cocky.
    Answer interview questions as succinctly as possible.
    Dress nice.

On your resume make sure to emphasize your accompishments.
    Keep your resume to one page if possible. This makes it easier for the hiring manager to go over it quickly.
    Always use a custom cover letter (no mass mailings with the cover letter).
    Keep your personal information off of your resume (except of course contact info). I have seen too many people include information regarding age, race, religion, sex and hobbies. The resumes with this information are sent directly to the round file due to legal issues.
    Clean up your facebook page to remove any questionable information.

Good luck!
    Where are you located?
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

That sounds like perfect advice, and I also emphasize the dress. I think many people play down the suit and tie aspect because they feel they are overdoing it. Employers tend to expect it for at least the interview process and when you are not dressed to impress your seriousness about want the job they will likely can your application.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Even if the employer thinks you're over-dressed, that's not a bad thing. I remember back when I was in high school my friend showed up in slacks, dress shirt and a tie and he was hired on the spot. He was applying for Taco Bell. lol

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

However, DON'T underdress.

Nothing looks more unprofessional that two plus sizes in the wrong direction.

Yeah, give them plenty of good reasons to hire you, but don't be pushy and forceful.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Find out as much as you can about the company and the position you are applying for before the interview, and have some questions prepared. It shows that you are actively interested in the position and not just 'looking for a job' (even if you are ). And be ready to answer some of those horrid interview standards. You know, "Why do you want to work here?", "Why should we hire you?", "Where do you see yourself in five years?". That kinda crap.

Also, and this took me a long time to really accept, don't be afraid to admit it if you don't know the answer to a question they ask you in the interview. If I were on the other side of the table, I would much rather you admit that you don't know than try and make something up that sounds good.

Don't exaggerate your abilities, but don't be modest either.

If you can, customise your resume for each position you apply for. In a technical writing course I took, the instructor said that most resume screeners only look at the top left half of the first page of most resumes. Put any important information there, and format it so that it calls attention to itself, but not so much that it looks too flashy.

Keeping the length to one page is usually a good idea, if you can, but don't be afraid to use more than one page...just don't go overboard..I remember a while ago we had someone apply for a position where I work, and he sent in a, iirc, 15 page resume. Granted, he had a LOT of experience, but it was communicated so poorly that the interviewer started out with some poor opinions of him (plus, he didn't get the job). That's the real issue with a resume; it is your first impression with a potential employer. It gives them a base to go on so that more of the interview can be spent on more important things.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Anodized

Like others have said Dress is important, but not just because you want the interviewer to think you look pretty. Typicaly when you dress profesional you feel profesional and when you feel profesional you will act profesional. To go with this be clean, well groomed and use your best posture. If you are going to slouch don't bother dressing up slouching and poor posture will outright destroy the profesional image you are projecting.

Remember as I stated in another post odds are your first interview will be with someone who knows what your job is and knows it well... don't try to BS when they ask you questions you don't know the answers to because most folks are not going to ask questions they don't already have answers to and even if you get it right odds are they are going to still smell the BS in the air. Let them know you don't know and if you can express genuine interest in the subject. When I interview folks I don't expect them know everything I ask even if they have alot of experience, the simple fact of the matter is everyone runs their shop differently.

Custom Title Honors

lots of good advice here for you.

to add to the dress thing though, you should find out what the dress code is at the place you are interviewing with. being overdressed can be a detriment. if you are interviewing at some place that has a relaxed atmosphere and dress code and you show up in a three piece suit, you could be viewed as to uptight to fit in with the current employees.

so dress appropriately.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    to add to the dress thing though, you should find out what the dress code is at the place you are interviewing with. being overdressed can be a detriment. if you are interviewing at some place that has a relaxed atmosphere and dress code and you show up in a three piece suit, you could be viewed as to uptight to fit in with the current employees.
    To a certain extent, yes. That being said, where I work, there is a very relaxed atmosphere; I wear jeans and a t-shirt every day and most everyone else is dressed similarly. But if someone came in for an interview dressed like that....

My general rule of thumb is unless you're interviewing for a manual labour position (construction, etc), start with slacks, long-sleeved dress shirt, and tie, and go up from there if it seems necessary.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

So, dark pants, white shirt and not-too-decorative tie.

Sounds about right.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta