Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project: Elegant-Li

Default Re: Project: Elegant-Li

It's Alive!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Alright, as promised here is an update of what I had completed since my last update.

To make my plans of installing a false floor a reality I had to trim down the PCI slot bracket to give me enough room to clear my radiators. The Lian Li PC-P50 has 8 PCI slots so you can have the luxury of installing additional USB ports or extension cards without giving up any of your PCI slots.
    I trimmed the plate down with the Dremel and this is how it turned out:

Next up I made a cover plate for the inside of the case roof. Unusual I know but after you see how the roof looks as standard you will understand why:

Pretty ugly right?

Before I could measure for and mount the new plate I needed to trim away some aluminium tabs from the inside of the case so it would all sit flush.
    This is what it looked like before:

And this is what it looks like after I finished with it:

Yes the cuts are still a bit rough but they will be dealt with later.

Now that that was done i cut and test fitted the plate that I cut from a sheet of 1mm aluminium I have laying around.
    Here are the pics of the process:

Fits like a glove .

This top plate is nearly done. I just need to cut some holes for the twin roof mounted 140mm fans to breathe but I am still deciding on my design of choice for the grills.

Next up I made myself a new motherboard tray. My first attempt at cutting one and bending rivit tabs failed miserably so I took a different route the second time around. The reason for me making my own motherboard tray is simple because the stock one only stretches only 2/3 the way accross the tray and extends too low, getting in the way of my radiator placement. Considering I am removing the drive bays entirely and making new ones, this new motherboard tray will take the roll of structural support.

So I measured and cut myself a nice piece of aluminium to fullfill the role of the new motherboard tray.
    Here is the test fit:

Pretty much fit straight after cutting, I did have to file a few edges done to get it perfect though.

I have decided the easiest way to mount the motherboard tray to the case is with the use of some thick right angle aluminium. I have a length that gives me perfect spacing and the tray will sit in its stock location with no cuttting or modifying at all. The angle aluminium will be attached to the motherboard tray using some epoxy and some countersunk bolts. The bolt heads will be covered with body filler and smoothed over so when painted you will never know they are there.

Here are a few shots of how this will work:

Here is how the tray will sit in the case, the top plate is there also for reference:

The motherboard tray is pretty much done. All that needs to be done is for me to cut some holes for cable management and tap some holes for motherboard standoffs, i'll tackle these later once everything is mounted securely.

Now that I have the top plate and the motherboard tray sorted (well cut atleast) I moved onto getting the false floor sorted.

Once again I started by measuring up and cutting another piece of aluminium plate:

I had to notch the two corners of the plate because it wouldn't fit correctly in the case thanks to the Lian Li's rolled edges:

Here is how the case looks with all 3 panels test mounted:

looking pretty good IMO.

Well thats all for now. The next thing for me to tackle is getting all of those panels mounted than I will worry about drilling or cutting any additional holes and things like that. Once I have everything mounted I also need to make up a new set of drive bays as well as make a dummy flate for the front of the case (internally). After that I am pretty much finished with having to make anything from scratch for this project and I will be able to get everything assembled again for a test fit before I tackle the side pannels.

Well I hope you enjoyed this update (about time), I will try to get atleast monthly updates up from here on out. Until next time...

Happy Modding.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Images resized, enjoy.

Just a small update for tonight everyone. I have some nice new watercooling goodies coming my way thanks to a sponsor so stay tuned for some pics when they come in. I am expecting some bits and pieces early next week.

I have made some slight progress with the mod itself but nothing worth mentioning just yet so you will have to wait and see .

awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Thanks mate, I have been doing some work on it recently. Hopefully ther ewill be an update tomorrow.

Stay tuned, update this week.

Well I have been doing a bit of work on how all my newly cut panels will be mounted. Originally I was going to go with countersunk bolts tapped into some angle aluminium but not only was this a lot more work it was unsightly.

This is what I have decided to do.
    I start off with countersinking some holes into my aly panels:

Next I drill some holes in some alu angle bar which I cut to size earlier:

And hey presto, rivet the two together:

Now I know it seems I didn't really solve my problem of it being unsightly but I have an ace up my sleeve. When I countersunk the holes for the rivits I made sure I sunk deep enough so the entire rivet head sat below the surface of the alu. I intend to use an automotive body filler to fill these holes and once I sand the filler flat and paint the panels the panel mounts will be unseen.

I am currently in the process of mounting the alu angle bracket on my unmounted panels and once that is done I can start putting everything back together. I will have more pics on this over the next few weeks hopefully. There is still one more panel I need to make but I can't do that until the motherboard tray, and floor are mounted atleast. This panel is also holding me back from making my drive bays. This step has taken longer then I would have hoped but I would rather have everything mounted properly first then having to go back and re-do my work.

Unfortunately that's all I have time for today. I have been kept busy with uni, work and a side project I am working on for my sponsor. Speaking of sponsors my goodies should be coming in next week sometimes, they got held up in customs for a week . I will post pics once my stuff comes in. Until then...

Happy Modding.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

This is going to look super sharp!

Anodized

Looks great. Always impressed with people's metal work skills. I don't think the rivits look unsightly either, but the filler will look good too.