Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BIOS and Boot help, multiple HDDs

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: BIOS and Boot help, multiple HDDs

you can go here

http://www.slax.org/get_slax.php

download the iso file. then use your burning software to burn it to a disk.

i'm guessing here that you are a bit more of a novice at this stuff than most of us here, so forgive me if i come across to remedial.

now then once you have downloaded the iso file, you want to burn it to a disk. however, you can't just burn the file itself to a disk. you need to tell your burning software specifically to burn an iso file. all the contents of the cd are packaged up into the iso file, so you can't do much with it like that. when you have your burning software burn an iso file to disk, it extracts out all the files and puts them on the disk.

once you have done that, you just reboot your pc with the cd in the cd drive and it will start right up into linux. i belive that slax puts your hard drives right on the desk top.

now you can just open the drive folders and copy to your heart's content.

it's really an easy thing to do.

good luck to ya.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    you need to tell your burning software specifically to burn an iso file.
    For clarification, some programs say 'load from image file', or something along those lines, instead of specifying a specific format.

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    i belive that slax puts your hard drives right on the desk top.
    Yup. Slax should mount all your drives automatically on boot.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Thanks guys sounds simple enough so will try this now. I usually just use a standard program for burning (ie. drag files to CDD and burn) so I don't know if I'd need to download a more advanced tool to burn the ISO? I've used them before plenty but never put them onto a disk... Downloading now anyway so I'll see if I can get it sorted but if I don't post again for a while it probably means I'm a bit stuck haha

Custom Title Honors

the burning utility in windows xp doesn't extract the iso files. so you will have to find another burning utility. i think nero has a trial version.

funny thing is, once you boot up in slax, it has the utilities to burn iso files, lol.

IMGburn is freeware to burn discs, with an easy mode for burning image files. made by the guy that made dvddecrypter.

Cheers guys worked a treat but took forever! I googled for further info on burning ISOs and ended up using a free program called 'Free Easy Burner'. Did I mention it was free? lol

The interface after the boot is very simple and it had no problem at all moving the files I wanted. It did have a big problem with filenames containing non-standard characters though. It simply refused to use them and for some reason wouldn't let me rename them so I left a few things behind but they aren't important...

Anyway I've just booted it up on the 1TB HDD with everything I wanted to save so the 320GB is ready for a reformat but I won't do it just yet. Already run a virus and registry check and came up clean so now I'm going to organise all the new files I bought over, delete the unnecessary and then defrag and such overnight (but not tonight as it'll take a lot of rearranging!!!)

Thanks for all the help, couldn't have done it without you lot!

Good to hear it worked out.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

One last problem now as it turns out I actually HAVE moved all the files tonight :p It's all games and documents so not too difficult... I'm stuck with a folder I can't delete now though as it's the system generated 'downloads' folder from my documents on the donor HDD. It's empty but I can't move or delete it and it's going to really bug me. Any thoughts on this one? Or should I boot off the CD again and delete from there?

Custom Title Honors

i'd just do that. it will save you some heart ache in the long run probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    Or should I boot off the CD again and delete from there?
    Yup, that one. I'm guessing it's another permissions problem...if I ever meet the person who decided it would be a good idea to take that out of XP Home, violence may ensue... -_^
    --Benjamin Franklin