Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the monitor mods?

Default Where are all the monitor mods?

I'm starting to get bit by the mod bug again. I have a few spare LCD panels around and a line on some affordable controller boards, so I figured that might be the route to go.

Thing is, I need inspiration and can't find much out there. The only ones I've see are this one and this one (along with variations of it)

Anyone see anything good out there? Anyone have any wacky ideas?

I'm thinking about making a secondary monitor for the Archangel in my sig line.

Default Re: Where are all the monitor mods?

Well, there's always this mod. I'm not going to attempt it until my monitor craps out. I would hate to make a mistake.

Heh...yeah. I'm thinking that's why there's not a lot of monitor mods out there - the stakes are high.

I had a laptop I was working on that I thought the panel was shot, so I bought a new one - turns out the panel was fine, and it was graphics hardware. So, I have two spare 15.6 wide-screen panels. Assuming I can get the controller board and it works...what do I have to lose, right?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Crippler View Post
    Assuming I can get the controller board and it works...what do I have to lose, right?
    Well, unfortunately, last I checked, at least about $200 in controller boards. Since stand-alone controllers for LVDS screens aren't very common (and didn't even really exist until a couple years ago), they're quite expensive. Expensive to the point of turning most people away from the idea, which then makes the market even smaller, which drives up the price again....you get the idea. Every few years or so I'll get the bug to try and make a giant, ridiculously huge resolution, display by stitching together laptop panels...and every time I end up giving up because I would end up spending more than if I bought similar resolution monitors.

Not to discourage you from looking though. If you can find a decently priced one, that would be awesome!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Yeah, I know that they're generally pretty expensive. Sorry for not being clear - I have found some, and they're ridiculously cheap; just trying to get my hands on it.

Cheap enough to be suspect in quality, but also cheap enough to say "eff it" if they don't work. Once I have gotten that part squared away, I'll be settling a bit more on what my project will be. In the meantime...I figured I'd whet my appetite with a little dream/idea thread.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Crippler View Post
    I have found some, and they're ridiculously cheap; just trying to get my hands on it.
    Ooooh...prices? Specs?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

jdbnsn - thanks for the links. Yeah, that's what I meant in the OP about ones similar to that. Seems that the vast majority go the "clear plexi and lights" route. Don't get me wrong, it looks great and isn't hard to to do. I very well might end up going that route myself. Can't help but think that there's an opportunity for me to come up with something totally different, though...

x88x - Uuuuh...I'll let you know. Still doing some research and waiting for a bit more info from the seller. Right now, it's totally in the "If it sounds too good to be true..." category, and I fear posting anything here will result in floods of "You idiot!"

I already know I am....but sometimes I get lucky. If it actually is what it's supposed to be, I will fully tell everyone far and wide about it.

heh what ever happend to defyant... his worklogs always got my blood pumping lol
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Fresh Paint

Ya know I was thinking about the same thing today... My little idea was to have a Keyboard come sliding out behind the monitor. It was just a thought and maybe spring an idea for ya.