Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the monitor mods?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Where are all the monitor mods?

GRLRLALDJFHJDHKHFGADGHFD>SDF>..
    8D
    15" UXGA IPS...for $98 shipped. 8D
    http://cgi.ebay.com/15-UXGA-LCD-SCRE...item27ae2b96ff

Umm...I might have to shoot them an email...damn, I really wanted to..you know...have money...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

LOL...so you don't already have a panel? I hate to say the thing I didn't want people to say to me...but is buying a panel and a board gonna save you anything, or is there something about that panel that is special?

I've had this dream for many, many years of making a custom monitor out of high resolution, IPS, laptop panels. That way I could finally have a lightweight, low power, stupidly high resolution display. Plus, with the tiny bezels on laptop panels, the transitions would be minimal. The panels have always been relatively cheap. The problem has always been the DVI-LVDS driver boards. ...but if I can get those now.... Using those 15" panels I linked, I could build a 6-panel, 40", 4800x2400 resolution, 2:1 ratio, IPS monitor. 8D ...for only.. $900? ...damn, I really shouldn't do that...maybe just three..yeah...and I can do nVidia's "totally not Eyefinity" thing with my GTX260's now, so it could act as a single monitor...yeah...but turn them on their sides so I get a 21", 3600x1600, 18:8 ratio panel.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

OH! Okay, so this and your earlier comment about multi-panel display were the same...Wow, that does sound impressive.

Well, find out what the seller has in stock, but try to keep it in your pants for a few more months while I do my mod - then you'll have a better idea how these cheap-ass boards hold up. Let me be your guinea pig just in case.

Then, if it works, you can unleash your opus and rep the hell out of for finding it for you.

Heheh, yeah, good idea. I'll be watching closely. If it does fail, try to see what on it failed. If it's just cheap caps or weak solder joint, those are easy to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Crippler View Post
    rep the hell out of for finding it for you.
    Done..
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Heheh, yeah, good idea. I'll be watching closely. If it does fail, try to see what on it failed. If it's just cheap caps or weak solder joint, those are easy to fix.
    Yeah, the one guy I talked to had one of the high-voltage lines disconnect from the plug (wasn't crimped well) that disconnected and arc'd out on the board. Another guy got cheap and didn't pony up for their matched PSU.

Second issue, I paid the extra $8. First issue, I'm gonna put a dab of super glue on each one.

So...I guess I might need to start a build thread for this monitor...or keep it here and still try to brain-storm.

Done..

Well, I've ordered a wall mount, so if nothing else, I can start planning the back.

One idea that I have is this: faux stained glass.

As mentioned, I'm trying to go with something that will go with the slightly reserved Archangel case in my sig. I found this tutorial for a glass painting effect. Now, it wouldn't be as "busy" as this one, but that's the general idea. Mine would be more clear glass (Plexi), with blue mini-panes describing the tips of wings to the sides of the monitor, and then Archangel along the bottom.

Now, I think it could look really cool...but I'm not sure if it would be way too much of a departure from the case.

If you have any LCD panels with dead backlights, you can make cool 'stained glass'-ish windows with them that you can change on the fly.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Hmm...don't quite follow you on that one.

Remove the backlight panel, so you just have the transparent LCD panel. Then, either use that as a window or put it in a window. Then, display whatever you want on the screen and it looks kinda like stained glass....sorta.
    --Benjamin Franklin