Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the monitor mods?

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Where are all the monitor mods?

Oh if ya got two monitors, why not try and make a dual sliding monitor similar to this...
    When I first say this notebook, I couldn't believe my eyes.

That's a pretty cool idea, Kordova. If you run with it, be sure to let us see.

Well, I have ordered my rather suspect board. I was able to contact some other customers that shopped through the supplier (hey, I'm super unsure about the product, but I'm a sneaky SOB) and they all had good things to say. One guy gave me very detailed talking points including - surprise - cheap construction, but serviceable with a few simple precautions. Should hopefully have it next weekend, and then I can find out if I wasted my money. If not, it's on.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

iAES.

Gutted a 17" Gateway monitor to put in one case.

Still in progress as of now....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Fresh Paint

I just found a mod with a couple monitors and posted it to my blog, nothing tooo spectacular but might come as inspiration for someone. Still a awesome case!

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Well, there's always this mod. I'm not going to attempt it until my monitor craps out. I would hate to make a mistake.
    Here is what I did to a lappy with a dead back light. Wish I had a better picture. It is 26 white LED's (I think it was 26). Split in the middle so it uses two resistors. It worked decent.

Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Holy eff'n crap, it worked. (That should be my sig-line at this point.)

Okay, to spill the beans, here it is: I found the board on Ebay, from a seller in China...for $30 (plus $7.50 for the power adapter.) Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too - repeatedly. China? Ebay? That cheap? Gotta be a scam...but the seller was really helpful. Also, he had a lot of good feedback. Finally, I was able to contact some other people that bought from him, and they all had generally favorable things to say (one guy had a board short out, but it seems the seller replaced it without problem.)

The seller posts under the name 'njytouch.' I have no idea what the long-term quality of these boards are, but this one worked out of the box, plug n' play. At $38+shipping, it's not like it's an alternative to a brand new monitor...but for people like me with a number of spare panels? Seems to be the ticket.

This particular board has both VGA and DVI input, plus a separate board with all of the normal front-panel buttons.

So...now to fully plan what I'm going to do with it.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nice! The cheapest I've seen anything like that before was about three times that price. Do you know what resolutions the board supports?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Exactly! This is why I was so tight-lipped. Like I said above, I expected everyone to tell me that I was an idiot and it was a scam. Every fiber of my being railed against it, but I just had to know.

This board supports 1440*900, but that's the one that they reccomended for my panel, which supports 1366*768. One of their many helpful things was to check their stores of panels to match the board to panel, so they might have ones for other resolutions.

A note on shipping: China Post was $14 or so, but that can take up to 2 months. DHL was $28, but it got here in 4 days. (And is still cheaper than these boards normally are, as you point out.)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Hmmm....I wonder... *runs to ebay to search for 1080p/UXGA IPS laptop panels*
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I'd just contact the seller. Like I said, super responsive. Tell him what you're looking for, and he'll help from there. He (or one of his associates I dealt with) will ask for info about the panel (model number from the back, etc) and then let you know what they have.