Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: TRON Lightcycle

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Default TRON Lightcycle

This is my entry into Cooler Master's case mod competition, scratch build category.

Been working in Sketchup for the last week, building a mockup of the lightcycle suitable for housing a full ATX system with watercooling. It ended up being 40" long, but relatively short. As for the design, I didn't want to make a spot-on replica of the bike, so I went with my layered acrylic method, with just a few skinned areas around the wheels and top. This allows me to hide more components inside as well. Anyway, on with the mockups:

Upon removing some layers, you can see the initial motherboard placement and other components.

To give you a better idea of size, I placed a Cooler Master Cosmos case next to it.

PRELIMINARY PARTS LIST

EVGA X58 Motherboard
    Intel i7 965 processor
    EVGA GTX570 video cards in SLI
    Crucial SSD
    Crucial Ballistix memory
    Pioneer Slimline slot load DVD drive
    Cooler Master Silent Gold 850W Power Supply (qualifying product)
    Dual bay reservoir by Primochill
    Other watercooling parts TBD

I'm planning something special for the front radiator, more on that later. ;-)

So that's the basic plan, I'll be adding more detail as I go along. Comments, suggestions, criticisms are always welcome!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Default Re: TRON Lightcycle

Very cool dude, I guess the hardware stops you lifting the central section doesn't it? Would be nice to see it a bit higher up but either way will be very nice. Watching this one

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    Very cool dude, I guess the hardware stops you lifting the central section doesn't it? Would be nice to see it a bit higher up but either way will be very nice. Watching this one
    Yeah, the original bike is more slender in the mid-section, but I had to take some concessions in order to fit the components and not have a 60" long case lol. 40" is already pushing it.
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Can this one already be on the front page????
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Subbed. This is gonna be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

I'm liking where this is going. Subbed.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Subbed! This is gonna be a good one!

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

By the way Bod I had a look at the terms on the coolermaster comp & there was a bit I'm unsure about, if a case comes in as 1 of the top cases or so would it need to be sent to them for a short while, I have very bad faith in couriers & wouldn't risk sending a scratch build case in case it got damaged, can't seem to get this verified so wondering if you or anyone else might know, cheers .

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    By the way Bod I had a look at the terms on the coolermaster comp & there was a bit I'm unsure about, if a case comes in as 1 of the top cases or so would it need to be sent to them for a short while, I have very bad faith in couriers & wouldn't risk sending a scratch build case in case it got damaged, can't seem to get this verified so wondering if you or anyone else might know, cheers .
    I can't seem to find anything in the rules that state the winners would need to send their actual cases in to CM. Can you show me the specific line in question?