Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314

Thread: TRON Lightcycle

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Default Re: TRON Lightcycle

Hey guys, finally getting to modding the monitor to match the TRON case. It's still not 100% complete, but it will work for this weekend's LAN party.

I designed a new bezel that was cut out of 1/4" blue transparent acrylic. Here I'm preparing to bevel the inside edges.

Of course I neglected to take any pics of the resulting bevel, but you can see it in the last pic.

To fasten the screen, I'm re-purposing these special hard drive mounting screws that have built-in washers. I just had to cut the length down since the threaded holes aren't very deep.

Here's one side with the mounting flange glued to the bezel, and the monitor mounted to it.

For the back side, I had to make a cover that would hide the two circuit boards. After extensive measuring of the LCD's backside, I made up a sketchup model to get the angles correct, then took measurements off that to draw up the cut file. Pieces were cut from 1/8" black acrylic.

I added some venting on the top piece, TRON style. (also putting my brass MNPC-Tech modding ruler to proper use )

Here's a shot of the underside, after gluing the pieces together.

Gluing the monitor supports on...

I went with some arbitrary angle sharper than 90 degrees on the supports, and ended up being close to an ergonomically correct viewing angle.

The bezel with the monitor installed. Thanks to Darthbeavis for donating his spare monitor!

and a back shot. Funny, the camera angle makes it look like the right support is missing lol.

I still have plans to add lighting and paint, but that will have to wait 'til after the LAN.
    Last edited by Boddaker; 07-12-2011 at 01:17 AM. Reason: clarity
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Default Re: TRON Lightcycle

Ok, now that PAX is over and done with, I can get caught up on my worklog updates. After PDXLAN, I had some time to wrap up the monitor mod. So I disassembled it and got it ready for paint.

Once cleaned up, I shoved some weather-stripping into the cutouts to keep paint from getting in there.

I had some thicker stuff to use for the cut out lettering on top.

Taped off the buttons at the bottom...

...and it's ready for primer.

Once again, using white primer under black paint to help the light travel through the acrylic.

While the paint was drying, I started working on the edge lighting. For this I'm using more blue led strips and 1/4" C-channel to cover them up.

I cut the led strips to length and taped them to the edge with electrical tape.

Then I slipped the C-channel over the led strips and screwed them into place.

Hooked the lights up to my spare psu to see how the cutouts light up:

Closeup of one side:

Once I confirmed the lights worked, I disassembled the edges and painted the C-channel to match, and hard-wired the lights to the monitor's circuit board. Unfortunately, the voltage source I tapped into was only 7 volts, so the lights are quite dim as a result. I will have to run a line out from the psu over to the monitor to get the needed 12v. I will also have to add an extra strip up by the TRON lettering, as the edge lighting falls off well before getting to the middle.

Regardless, here are a couple shots of everything together on the desk:

Thought I would also throw in a couple pics from PAX this last weekend. I didn't make it into the BYOC, but EVGA was kind enough to provide some table space for TRON at their booth.

It drew quite the crowd, as well as Quorra, who wanted to take the lightcycle and ride it off the grid. I had to convince her it was just a PC.

Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.