Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: TRON Lightcycle

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: TRON Lightcycle

I've read something similar in the past regarding them POSSIBLY requiring your case for promotional purposes for a short period - I'll have a look tho and see if this stands this year too...

EDIT: It isn't specific about you sending them the case but.....

9. Reprint or use of your Case Mod and Case Mod images will be at our sole discretion and will occur without compensation to you.
    10. We may use your Case Mod and Case Mod images with or without any pseudo (pen) name credit.
    11. Our right to use your Case Mod and Case Mod images is perpetual and may be assigned by us.
    12. We may use your Case Mod and Case Mod images locally, nationally or globally and such use may be made in any media, information or communication platform (including Internet advertising) currently in use or later developed.

All of those do infer possession - it's kinda hard to use something exclusively and perpetually without actually having possession of it.... The fact that they specifically state "your case" AND "Case Mod Images" is somewhat worrying.... Hell, rule 11 basically also says they can give it away to someone else entirely....
    Last edited by slaveofconvention; 02-28-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Ah skipped over that part on the registration page lol. Yeah, I guess it does say that. I will ask for clarification as well. I already pointed out a discrepancy between the submission deadline date in the rules and the one on the contest home page.

I think they are referring to the project log, not the actual case mod itself. Maybe they meant to say "case mod 'likeness' and case mod images"? Regardless, if they really expect me to hand over my case to them lock, stock, and barrel, I will ship it to them in a paper sack and they can have what ever is left after Fedex is done with it. LOL
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boddaker View Post
    I can't seem to find anything in the rules that state the winners would need to send their actual cases in to CM. Can you show me the specific line in question?
    9. Reprint or use of your Case Mod and Case Mod images will be at our sole discretion and will occur without compensation to you.

10. We may use your Case Mod and Case Mod images with or without any pseudo (pen) name credit.

11. Our right to use your Case Mod and Case Mod images is perpetual and may be assigned by us.

12. We may use your Case Mod and Case Mod images locally, nationally or globally and such use may be made in any media,
    information or communication platform (including Internet advertising) currently in use or later developed.

It's the fact that it mentions use your case mod and case mod images that confuses me as if it was just images they would say this but they say case mod & case mod images which to me means they'd need the actual mod as well as the pics lol .

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boddaker View Post
    Ah skipped over that part on the registration page lol. Yeah, I guess it does say that. I will ask for clarification as well. I already pointed out a discrepancy between the submission deadline date in the rules and the one on the contest home page.

I think they are referring to the project log, not the actual case mod itself. Maybe they meant to say "case mod 'likeness' and case mod images"? Regardless, if they really expect me to hand over my case to them lock, stock, and barrel, I will ship it to them in a paper sack and they can have what ever is left after Fedex is done with it. LOL
    LOL

I think I'll pass on the comp entry lol, seems kinda shady but I'm probably wrong for being worried.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

It's probably just one of those "catch-all" T&C things - they'd never actually enforce it in the real world, just some over-eager lawyer covering all the possible bases...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Ok, got the acrylic parts list finalized, but before I send it off to the laser, I figured I should double check my measurements by making a 1/2-size model. I went back and rearranged some things to make room for fans and to facilitate better airflow.

Here's an overall look at the main acrylic parts. There are many more smaller pieces, spacers, and tubes that I didn't bother itemizing for the mockup.

First I thought I would print out a full-size outline of the bike with a picture of the motherboard in place.

Then I tested the 1:1 scale with an actual ATX board, and my qualifying product, a Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w power supply.

Final overall length is 38".

After getting a glimpse of the actual size, I proceeded to make the 1/2 size model. I only cut out the more important layers surrounding the components.

Peering down into the component area, you can see the lower IO plate.

The 1/2 size motherboard with two GTX580's in SLI:

The mobo and cards in place:

So far so good. Looks like things might actually fit as hoped. I'll go through the parts one more time and add some cable pass-through's and tubing holes, then I can finally send it off. Next update will show the acrylic parts when I get them in. 'Til then!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Going to look very cool Bod, keep it up! Re: the wierd T&C I wouldn't really worry about it. Even if they are somehow the legal owners of something you've funded, created and built there's no way they'd ever be able to actually get their hands on it if you said no. Can you see it in court, or bailiffs turning up for an item you could hide just about anywhere lol

Ok, so in the interest of time, I decided not to make these fairings out of fiberglass, or use my vacuum forming table, seeing as how I still have to rebuild it. Instead, I'll be forming the pieces with a plastic paste, which is a much quicker process. So the first step is creating a plug on which to lay the paste down.

So, time to cut some foam! Earlier in the week, I laminated three layers of foam insulation sheets to get the thickness I needed. I also made up a template that minimized the amount of foam I had to use. In fact, all four fairing pieces will be molded from this one block of foam after I'm done with it.

There's a front and back fairing, and they are split into left and right mirrored pieces. Here's half my template, with the back fairing on top and the front upside down on the bottom. The gray and black lines show the difference between the edges of the fairing. Gray is the wider part (over the center of the tire) and the black is the narrower edge.

Using a hacksaw, I started doing the rough cuts around the gray lines.

Then with an electric carving knife, I started shaving off the foam, following the black lines and curving out to the wider edge.

One half roughed out, next to the other side.

Here's a shot of them side by side in their eventual places. You can now see the shape of the bike emerging.

Once I got the pieces roughed out, I used an exacto knife to get more accurate along the edges.

The thickness difference between both edges is 3/4". I marked my square with tape and slid it along the edge to see where I still needed to remove material. I used a drywall sanding block to smooth out the curves.

Both sides smoothed out. This is the back end...

And turning it over we have the front end.

Next step is to sandwich it all together, with cardboard in between. These will form the walls of the pour area. I traced the foam block first, then scribed another cut-line about 1/4" wider.

Three pieces cut, two outside pieces, one center piece.

Using spray adhesive, I glued them all together.

While that was setting up, I used my flexible curve to transfer the overall curve shape to my custom screeding tool...

...which is just a piece of clear acrylic I just cut to size.

It will work like this. It fits over the foam block, and after I trowel the plastic paste into the mold, I'll slide the tool along the top of the cardboard to level it off. This will hopefully ensure a consistent thickness throughout the length of the fairings. It will also smooth out the top surface of the plastic and minimize the amount of touch-up and prep work I'll need to do before painting.

One last thing I needed to do before I was ready to lay down the paste, was to incorporate some form of fastening tabs into the fairings. So I dug out some cavities about 1/4" in from the edge, to account for the thickness of the ribs to which these will be secured.

Now I think it's ready for some plastic!

Next update will have the results of the molding process. 'Til then!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Somehow I missed this when it first got posted...looks awesome!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV