Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: TRON Lightcycle

Default Re: TRON Lightcycle

Wow looking good Bod, and very complicated Look forward to seeing the next step!

Overclocked

I am in for this Luv tron

Awesome work.. Are you using the same plastic paste you used on BSG? I was kind of looking forward to seeing he VFT back in action. , but either way I know your going to have some fantastic results.

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Awesome work.. Are you using the same plastic paste you used on BSG? I was kind of looking forward to seeing he VFT back in action. , but either way I know your going to have some fantastic results.
    Yes, it is essentially the same stuff, but improved. The original Plasti-Paste exuded an oily substance which made it extremely difficult to paint. If you look back on some of my BSG landing bay pics during the build, you'll notice blotchy discoloration all over it. It looked like black/gray camo lol. This was due to the primer sticking to the bondo parts and not the areas that were bare plastic. This new and improved Plasti-Paste is a better formula that does not emit any oily substances and therefore can be easily sanded and painted after it's fully cured.

About the Vac-Table, I really need to get that thing back up and running, but it would have taken too long (and too much money). I plan to replace the current heating elements with some proper coiled nichrome wire for better heat dispersal, and a few other enhancements. I need to spend the time to do it right rather than slap it together just enough to barely get it working for one project.
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Glad to see you innovating as well! Best of luck to you in MOTM, MOTY and the CM contest!
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Thanks Kayin! Looking forward to your Whaling build too, and good luck in the CM contest as well!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Here is the Plasti-Paste II from Smooth-On. It comes as part A and part B, and you mix it 1 parts to 2, respectively.

Opening up part B, the paste.

After doing some calculations, I figured out the volume of my mold, then converted to fluid ounces to get the total amount of mixture I needed. Here I'm measuring out 2 parts paste.

Transferred that to a larger mixing container. This stuff is thick! No sag whatsoever, which makes it great for applying to vertical surfaces.

Measuring out 1 part liquid hardener.

Thoroughly mixing the two parts together. This stuff normally has a 10 minute pot life, but due to the cold weather, that was greatly extended. Took about four times as long to set up, which actually worked in my favor, allowing me to take my time getting it onto the mold and smoothed out.

After applying a mold release agent (seen in the first pic), I troweled the paste onto the mold.

After about 40 minutes, it had set up to a hard plastic.

I repeated the process for the other side, and in a few hours I should be able to demold them.

Having coated the foam with the mold release, it should be easy to pop it out of the mold. I don't want to destroy the foam if I don't have to, just in case I need to make another set of fairings later. Once out of the mold, I'll need to clean up the edges a bit, and start smoothing out the top surface. I should be getting the acrylic parts in this week, so once they arrive, I can see how these fit, and find out if my template measurements were accurate! :worried:

Demold time! So despite the use of a mold release spray, the fairings were still reluctant to come out of the mold. So I had to persuade them a bit.

First I cut part of the outer cardboard wall away to expose the mating surface of the foam.

Then, using a hacksaw blade by itself, I worked it in underneath the parts to get them separated.

Success!

Not too shabby, but it still needs some work before they will be bike-worthy.

The underside. My integrated tabs idea didn't go over too well with the Plasti-Paste lol.

And all four parts demolded.

The fairings are pretty flexible and prone to cracking (don't ask me how I know lol), so they will need to be reinforced. Smooth-On recommends a thickness of at least a 1/4" for optimum strength, but I fell short of that with these pieces. I have a solution for this though, and it will also solve the mounting problem too, since my tabs were pretty much non-existent. I will run a piece of 1/4" acrylic the whole length of the fairing underneath that will add strength, and serve as a mounting surface as well.

Fresh Paint

Love your work Bod. Been following you since BSG on Gruntville. can't wait to see this one finished too. subbed