Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: TRON Lightcycle

Default Re: TRON Lightcycle

I can not wait to see more progress, c'mon!

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Funny you should mention that, ArgOs.....

Got the acrylic parts in today! 3 boxes worth lol. I couldn't wait to get home and dig into them. Here they all are spread out on my desk. The pieces with blue coating is the gloss black acrylic, and the ones with the tan coating are the blue transparent pieces. Looks like everything is present and accounted for.

Hmmm, should I put it all away now? Heck no! I gotta see how this all fits together! So I immediately start fitting the tubes into their wheel positions. You can also see the slots I made for the cross sections.

Here is one of the cross sections in place. This piece will also hold two 120mm fans.

I slide on another rib piece...

...Oops! forgot the center rib that goes in between the other two.

This shows the cutouts for the power supply.

Why not put the psu in too!

And the other cross section in place.

Now you can see the interior enclosure taking shape.

Might as well add the rest of the pieces on this side: window piece, wheel discs of varying sizes, and the IO plate at the bottom of the center enclosure.

Here's a close up of all the layers on one side of the wheel. I got them roughly spaced where they're supposed to be, at 3/4".

So I'm gonna be pretty busy this weekend, now that I have all the parts. Can't wait to get to it. I wish I could call in sick tomorrow lol!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Overclocked

I lurvve this mod keep up the good work

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

nice!

That's. HUGE. I love it
    Not dead yet

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Next step in vehicular-computer evolution.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Oooh, partses.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Thanks everyone!

Got more work done on the fairings over the weekend. Looking at the various reference pics I found online, I was able to determine the basic shape of the front fairings.

And since I had the bike parts mocked up, I could place the fairings onto the bike and see how they fit. I had purposely made them wider than they needed to be, so I could cut them down to the exact size.

Cutting the fairings. The foam plug was once again utilized to hold the pieces in place.

Pulling the excess away

Transferring to the other side, mirroring the shape.

Both cut and back on the bike.

After a few adjustments to the cuts so they matched up perfectly, I began the smoothing process. I started by knocking the rough, bumpy surface down with the belt sander.

Once I got it down flat, it was time to add body filler. For a glob of bondo this size, I needed about 3" of hardener.

Gave each piece a good coat of filler, and went a little thicker in the areas where the fairings were a little thin to even it up.

Skipping ahead past the sanding, application of a second skin coat of filler and more sanding, I still needed to fill some minor pin holes and low spots with glazing putty.

After letting that dry and sanding it smooth, the fairings were brought in once more for a fit on the bike.

A close up of the surface. I still need to round the corners a bit more on the left side, to match the right. Other than that, it's pretty much ready for some primer.

I think I'll get the mounting pieces on the bottom of the fairings first before I start priming though. I might be able to tackle that tonight.
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

TBH, I can't wait to see both Trons.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta