Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: TRON Lightcycle

Default Re: TRON Lightcycle

Those are turning out AWESOME!!! Don't know what else to say. You keep building we'll keep complimenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

wow... love the plastic mold work! very cool! I am loving this project and will watch it to the end!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Thanks for the comments! Here's more:

Started working on the rear fairlings. I measured and cut them just as I did the front ones, except it's just a straight cut on these, no patterns.

Cleaned up the cuts and set them on the bike for a test fit.

I didn't really fancy sanding and filling tonight, so I'll tackle that probably this weekend. What I really wanted to do was make the tail part that will cover the tip of the edge where the light wall comes out of the bike. This cover will be molded into the rear fairing, and as such, both halves will then become one part.

To make this piece, I will be bending a small piece of 1/8" acrylic into a U shape. So the first thing I had to do was make a metal pocket for the acrylic to fold into. I found a 3/4" dia. pipe and bent some sheet metal around it, then flared the ends so it sat in the vice like so.

Then I cut my piece of acrylic down to size and found another smaller 1/2" pipe to push it into the pocket when heated up.

I first heated up the pipe with a torch, then heated the acrylic with my heat gun until I could push it down into the pocket with the pipe. I immediately stuck some wood scraps in there to keep the sides straight while it cooled.

After a few minutes here is the result... a perfect U shape!

Here is where it will go on the bike. I will round the top of that center rib, and paint the sides and top edge black, leaving the trailing edge for the glowy light to show through. Should look pretty slick!

This concludes the Mid-week Modding "Bodcast". Thanks for tuning in!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

"bodcast" haha lol clever.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Overclocked

Nice work bro really nice

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

looking good!

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Thanks guys!

Time for another Midweek Bodcast!

Nearing the end of the fairing fabrication. As I mentioned before, I was able to add much more strength to the pieces via a mounting edge on the under side. I was going to use acrylic, but was worried the adhesive wouldn't stick to the formed plastic. I knew that plasti-paste does stick to itself quite nicely, so I decided to make the mounting rails simply by throwing more paste at it!

So first thing was to tape the fairings onto the ribs, making sure they were placed correctly.

Also checking for symmetry.

Then I cut some cardboard pieces and taped them to the inside, to enclose the area where the plasti-paste will go.

Added the goop...

A couple hours later, I could pull the fairings off with ease, thanks to the plastic coating on the acrylic. I had also taped the acrylic edges with electrical tape, so the plasti-paste wouldn't stick there either.

Removed the cardboard with a utility knife, and smoothed out the edges.

A closeup of the edge shows that the plasti-paste actually filled in the gaps between the fairing and the rib, resulting in a much better fit (once cleaned up and smoothed of course).

A shot from the underside. The rail and fairing are now one!

As the plasti-paste was setting up, I took the liberty of adding depressions where the mounting screws will go.

Got one piece mounted, using 8-32 socket head screws.

A closeup of one of the mounting points.

And that about wraps up this edition of the Midweek Bodcast. Next on the weekend installment, I should have the rest of the fairings mounted, and the two rear fairings fused together along with the U-shaped piece I made earlier. Thanks for watching!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

So, which kid is this going to?

Or is it a personal rig?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Overclocked

Have to say I really love this and it is something that I am enjoying watching, especially with the delay with some of my parts, keep up the excellent work...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nice work. I like how you were able to just blend the two parts together.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV