Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

  1. #1

    Default Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

    Just finished my latest Intel Socket 775 review.
    http://www.bayreviews.com/computers/18374
    I was able to hit 3.125Ghz on air cooling using a Scythe SCMN-1100 MINE Rev.B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler. The processor does an impressive job for a Celeron, especially when compared to the Intel E8600.

    Would the E3300 work in a bargain gaming rig? I think so!

    Here are the performance charts:



  2. #2
    ATX Mental Case Blibbax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

    My 3GHZ core 2 is starting to feel its age. I'd never even consider putting one in a PC today, unless it was strictly for word processing etc.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blibbax View Post
    My 3GHZ core 2 is starting to feel its age. I'd never even consider putting one in a PC today, unless it was strictly for word processing etc.
    How so?

  4. #4
    Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    5,865

    Default Re: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

    yea how so? my C2Q Q6600 is more than fast enough for anything I do with it. why spend money on an i-series, adn the motherboard and memory to go with it, when the core series still works more than adequately for 90% of the population?

    I mean hell, all 5 of the computers here at my work are still P4, ranging from 1.8GHz to 2.8GHz, all with ~1GB RAM, and they're still not even worked 100%

  5. #5
    rawrnomnom diluzio91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,471

    Default Re: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

    i think he was reffering to a c2d, and going from a dual core to a quad core made a HUGE difference. its like night and day, while a dual core is good for word processing and such, for gaming i would have to give it a pass.
    Not dead yet

  6. #6

    Default Re: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

    Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    i think he was reffering to a c2d, and going from a dual core to a quad core made a HUGE difference. its like night and day, while a dual core is good for word processing and such, for gaming i would have to give it a pass.
    If you look at my SuperPi chart, a lowly dual core E8600 leads the pack. We all know spending $$$ on a great SLI video card is going to do more than any expensive i7 processor.

    I guess I need to put some $ in a NVIDIA GTX for BayReviews and test it out on a few mobo configs before making any more conclusions.

  7. #7
    ATX Mental Case Blibbax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

    Quote Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
    How so?
    Recent games are considerably held back by it at high settings. Even for movie editing etc., modern applications are optimised for 4 core CPUs. Then, of course, there's the multitasking.

    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    yea how so? my C2Q Q6600 is more than fast enough for anything I do with it. why spend money on an i-series, adn the motherboard and memory to go with it, when the core series still works more than adequately for 90% of the population?

    I mean hell, all 5 of the computers here at my work are still P4, ranging from 1.8GHz to 2.8GHz, all with ~1GB RAM, and they're still not even worked 100%
    Firstly, in my own experience, a Q6600 is way faster even in single threaded applications than either an E3400 or similar low end C2D based CPU.

    Secondly, the P4 computers are your work are loaded at 100% at the very least when opening programs, loading windows, and playing back HD Youtube. I still have my P4 rig, and it struggles with what I'd describe today as normal everyday use.

    Quote Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
    If you look at my SuperPi chart, a lowly dual core E8600 leads the pack. We all know spending $$$ on a great SLI video card is going to do more than any expensive i7 processor.

    I guess I need to put some $ in a NVIDIA GTX for BayReviews and test it out on a few mobo configs before making any more conclusions.
    Firstly, the "lowly" (>100...) dual core E8600 leads the pack because of its massive cache per core and very high stock clock speed. Remember that SuperPi is entirely single threaded.

    Secondly, an E8600 is one hell of a lot faster than an E3400 or similar low end C2D CPU.

    Thirdly, I think you'll find that many modern games will show huge gains from an upgrade to a modern quad core CPU, especially from a weaker dual core, if they already have a powerful GPU.

  8. #8
    Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

    I have, iirc, an E3400 (or maybe E3200..I forget) in my server, and I agree, they're good, solid chips. The small L2 cache would have an affect on any gaming though, I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    i think he was reffering to a c2d, and going from a dual core to a quad core made a HUGE difference. its like night and day, while a dual core is good for word processing and such, for gaming i would have to give it a pass.
    Heheh, try going from single core to quad core. That's what I did with my current system. Athlon 64 FX-55 to C2Q 9450. The difference was really, as you said, night and day...even coming from one of the most powerful single-core CPUs ever made.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

  9. #9

    Default Re: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blibbax View Post
    Recent games are considerably held back by it at high settings. Even for movie editing etc., modern applications are optimised for 4 core CPUs. Then, of course, there's the multitasking.
    I was hoping to point out that you can go with a cheap E3300 now and focus on the SLI card since many of these Socket 775 mobos can run quad core chips.

    The ASUS P5QL is running with a QX9650 today and here are some initial results.

    wPrime 1024M:
    QX9650 @ 3.66Ghz - 387.941
    QX9650 @ 3.00Ghz - 473.851
    E3300 @ 3.00Ghz - 948.12

    Obviously, the Intel quad core is faster.

    WIN 4 Bibbax.

  10. #10
    Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    6,631

    Default Re: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

    The word Celeron just bugs me. It could be a Quad Core Celeron and I still wouldn't get one.
    WH1T3 0U7
    *******************************
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, NVidia Titan Xp 12GB, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, Enermax 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •