Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invisible media server for the living room.

Default Invisible media server for the living room.

I built a media server that was actually approved by my wife for placement in the living room. I started with some furniture from Target and put a computer in it. I say media server instead of media center because it's only for music and pictures. No PVR or fancy stuff on a 500 MHz AMD.
    Check it out at my blog.

edit: Combined multiple threads from Worklogs, Galleries and the Chatterbox into this single thread, as they all had basically identical original posts.

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Invisible media server for the living room.

I think that wood panel is a little heavy for the DVD tray. Don't you think? Overall, it's great!! Welcome to the boards!!
    Optimist - The glass is half full
    Pessimist - The glass is half empty
    Engineer - The glass is twice as big
    Me - There is water in a glass, deal with it

It hasn't caused any problems so far. It is kind of heavy but it doesn't sag much when it opens. I beveled the bottom edge of the drawer front to it guides back into position. I don't plan on using the drive much except for backups and ripping CD's.

ATX Mental Case

wow very creative..though i didnt see any fans...or vents...does it breath ok?
    No genuis is a organized worker.

PROJECT "2GHz OF THUMPIN BASS" HAS BEGUN!!!! CHEAK IT OUT IN THE "PROJECT WORKLOGS" AREA.

There is the fan on the power supply and of course the one on the processor. I also have a 120mm fan I was going to install on the back but I have not done it yet. It hasn't had any problems with running and has good airflow with the holes in the sheet metal bottom. You gotta remember this thing is not a waffle iron like the modern day processors. I think it's probably a 200 watt PS running it.

Thats pretty clever, you should post the worklog.

ATX Mental Case The Great Destroyer's Avatar

Default Re: Wood computer with magic drawer.

wow, thats awesome. one question on the TV though, how good is the pixelation, because ive noticed that its not that good with non-LCD tvs. is it about the same as a normal LCD monitor since its an LCD tv?
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

Nice. I like the shims on the top drawer... Isn't that a lolly stick?

Saw this on CMG, that's a sweet idea! I like that a lot. I've done a couple of wood machines myself, wood is a lot easier to work with than metal in most cases.

D'Oh

very cool looking.. this is one of the best "stealth" project i've seen i bet noone notices the case unless they search for wires or you tell them .. great job!

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|