Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have an HTPC

22 34.38%
  • I have more than 1 HPTCs

6 9.38%
  • I do not have an HTPC but want one

26 40.63%
  • I do not have an HTPC and do NOT want one.

10 15.63%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you own a HTPC / Media Center PC?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Do you own a HTPC / Media Center PC?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Crippler View Post
    Have you tried the Moonlight plugin?
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Moonlight 2.0 has most of the features of Silverlight 2.0 that Netflix uses...except for the DRM support...which means it doesn't work. Makes no sense to me, since the Roku works just fine and it's Linux-based.

..and yes, I forgot about it when I wrote my first post, but that's another reason my HTPC will probably have to be Windows-based.

BTW, just tried it, and this is what you get. So, even if Moonlight 2.0 did support all the necessary features, Netflix would still block it. ...hmmm, I wonder if I spoofed my browser agent...

EDIT:
    Tried that...got this.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Well...can't win them all. I admit, there's a little chicken and egg there for me - on one hand, I don't use Netflix, so I haven't looked into it. On the other, I haven't looked into it much, because I know I can't (easily) use it.

Linux is NOT for everyone, and I will never be one of those guys that tries to push it out there in a flurry of "DOWN WITH MICROSOFT!"

It works for me, because I don't need a Windows license on all the networked machines I use for my media system, there is some fun software to toy with, and it works very well for my applications.

The important part is - those of us with HTPCs have ones that work for us and do what we ask of them.

Now, excuse me while I finish mucking with my Windows partition on this frontend so that I can stream the Silverlight app for Arena Football this season...

I want to build an HTPC, but I have a 360 for streaming netflix, and a PS3 that plays Blu-Rays. Just doesn't seem to be a need for one. Although I suppose, if I ever got a projector, that would be reason enough to build one.

I have my NES PC. It was hooked up to my standard def 32" CRT TV, but we gave it away months ago. Tonight my wife and I went out and got a 55" LED LCD TV. It's pretty big and awesome, but the resolution is going to be too much for my little NES, which only outputs at 480i max. That's the big limit of a stock NES build.

I'm probably not going to build a new HTPC any time soon. I'm getting a PS3 tomorrow and it can stream HD files from my desktop (where I sit now), play netflix in HD, and is probably the best bluray player on the market, so there is little to no purpose in getting a new dedicated machine except for the fun of it, hulu, and if I wanted to play PC games on the large screen.

Use my HTPC for watching Blue Ray's and NHL Center Ice Live.

No gaming, no browsing. Just movies and Hockey.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Does it count if my gaming computer is used as my primary Television,HTPC,interweb and gaming rig?

Kinda fun to watch television in eyefinity (works with winamp HDTV plugin)

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

My Media Centre is an Athlon x2 5200, 4gb ram, 320gb notebook drive, blu-ray and quad digital OTA tuners in a thermaltake DH101 media centre case, attached to a pair of logitech speakers and a 22 wall mounted monitor - it is the bedroom TV and as it archives all recorded TV to the windows home server every day, the hard disk is more than enough (although I'm not 100% sure it'll be able to keep up if the thing tries recording from all 4 tuners at once) running Windows Media Centre under 7 Ultimate x86 - I did have it running x64 but had a couple niggles - it may go back though as only 2.5 of that 4gb of ram is showing under x86 - I knew I'd lose SOME ram but wasn't expecting to lose THAT much....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    I don't have one nor want one... simply because my main PC fulfils all the tasks of a HTPC - it IS my gaming/movie/tv/music platform, but it's seriously not dedicated.
    LOL me too & is part of the reason I'm trying to make it super quiet without any hassle of water cooling & is why I stubbornly stay with at least 6 hdd .

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    & is why I stubbornly stay with at least 6 hdd .
    Bah! HDDs don't belong in a main system or HTPC! They're too noisy! Stick those noisy HDDs in a dedicated fileserver in a closet somewhere and snake a gigabit ethernet line to it, then stick SSDs in all the other systems. Problem solved.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Bah! HDDs don't belong in a main system or HTPC! They're too noisy! Stick those noisy HDDs in a dedicated fileserver in a closet somewhere and snake a gigabit ethernet line to it, then stick SSDs in all the other systems. Problem solved.
    Hmm I've never done a file server before & when you put it like that yeah it totally makes good sense & could be the advent of me making tiny gaming/media pc's but a file server would need to come first .