Thread: Cleaning Up and Catching Up

Default Cleaning Up and Catching Up

For those of you that don't know, I'm in a very competitive architecture program and life gets a little bit crazy every now and then. I'm currently in second year, which only allows 75 students (last year there were about 175 first years. 100 didn't make it.) Next year it will be reduced to ~35, but after that I'm in until I graduate. Today was my last day of classes before a week off (spring break). It won't be all relaxation. I have to get going on my portfolio as part of my application process to get into third year, but it was time I got caught up at home.

My place gets really messy whenever a big project is getting due and this week was no exception. It didn't help that along with school work my wife and I were out buying too much stuff. There was a lot of mess and I needed to clean.

I used a point-to-point cleaning method today and cleaned from around ten in the morning to seven at night. Point-to-point cleaning goes a little like this, there's a dirty cup in the bedroom, so I take it to the kitchen where there are lots more dirty dishes, so I load them all up and start the dishwasher. There are some tools on the counter, so I take those and I put them away. In my work room next to my toolbox is *something else* and so on and so on. Point to point cleaning works well because all spaces get finished at around the same time and progress at a similar rate.

After getting everything put away I cleaned the kitchen, swept all the floors, vacuumed the carpets and couches, and cleaned the bathroom. It was a long long day of deep cleaning, but it was well worth it. Here are the results!

I started in the bedroom since it would be the easiest, but it was several hours of moving around before I got everything done in here.
    Before:

After:

And my dresser before:

After:

Here's the kitchen before. That saw was used for a class project I turned in about two weeks ago. The box from the TV as well as a package I was getting ready for 985323.

After:

The counter tops were pretty bad too:

But I got that figured out:

Here's the entry right next to the kitchen. I couldn't use the bench to put my shoes on for all the crap. My wife and I use a system called the landing pad and outbox. Anything that comes into the house but doesn't yet have a home goes on the landing pad, which is that bench. Anything that we don't want anymore also goes on the bench. Right now I have too much outbox material than the bench can fit, but those old crap computers had to go. I don't have the space for them. I took them to a dumpster.

All cleaned up. There's your package 985323, and the router that has to be added. Thanks for buying!

I spend a lot of time doing architecture work on my computer, but I need lots of reference material, so my room explodes into a dump and I have few options but to just live in it for a while. At some point I'll build some shelves in here, but for now it is what it is.
    Before:

And the Desk:

After:

And the Desk, there's my new 2Tb hard drive getting all filled up before I mount it in the case. Don't want to go to all the trouble of getting it in the case to find out it's no good.

For my wife's sake, I try to keep the mess of school work out of the kitchen and living room, but this past week couldn't be helped. I ended up everywhere. Here's the living room:

And after:

There was one more room in need of attention. I use it for drafting and some storage. My wife uses it for sewing on occasion and would like to use it more if it were cleaner.
    Before:

After:

Now as you can see, it's better but still a mess. Why is that? Well, I have all this stuff I'm trying to get rid of.

There it is, all the stuff I'm trying to sell and have listed here in the For Sale section of the forums. You all could really help me and my wife if you would buy it from me. I would like the money, but more, I want the space so I can mod inside from time to time and she can sew more often and have a space to call her own.

Let me know what you think of the cleanup and go check out the most recent additions to my for sale thread.

Default Re: Cleaning Up and Catching Up

Your house when it's dirty looks like mine when it's clean

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    Your house when it's dirty looks like mine when it's clean
    LOL That's what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

You call that dirty? I'll post a picture of my room....
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

haha awesome thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER