Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pay your property taxes Apple!

Default Pay your property taxes Apple!

OK, I am still looking for any "official" information, but here is the story:

Apple has not paid their property taxes in a long time because they are disputing the value of their property. Fine. Real estate has taken a nose dive, but their property is still worth MILLIONS! They refuse to pay until the county appraises their property at the value Apple wants which is significantly lower than the market value according to the county. To garner support for its position, Apple has been contacting all of the businesses around them (power in numbers), and basically getting them to not pay until they get a property appraisal that they (the companies) deem is fair to them.

Some of you may be familiar with where Apple is located and it is one of the most prime pieces of real estate in the south bay and possibly Silicon Valley. Read: VERY EXPENSIVE!

OK, why should I care?

The wife works at a school located in the county where Apple is and the property taxes they are supposed to pay helps fund the school system (one of the better ones in the bay area too). The SO was told yesterday that her district is going to have to lay off 500 teachers because the funding is not there due to Apple and several other companies refusing to pay taxes.

WTF! Apple? You make Billions of dollars and cannot pay a few million in taxes?!?!

NEVER will I buy any of your products. Pay up slouchers!

OK, thanks for reading my rant.
    If anyone can find the story, let me know or post a link. I will post it if I find it too.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Default Re: Pay your property taxes Apple!

It's been my experience that the more money someone has the harder they try getting out of paying their bills or at least paying in full. Greed was a huge motivator in obtaining their fortune and it's just as huge a motivator when it comes to trying to hold on to every last penny. I guess it applies to corporations as well... This is shameful but not surprising. At least there are exceptions to the rule...like Bill Gates. And I'm not even trying to make an Apple-Microsoft parallel, that's just a coincidence.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

It is the best of times, it is the worst of times....

I'd bet the local state officials who aren't kicking down the door of Apple's HQ like they would your home if you hadn't paid use lots of Apple products, including limousines, sports cars, and condos in the French Riviera. Say the word, I'm ready for a revolution!

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    It is the best of times, it is the worst of times....

I'd bet the local state officials who aren't kicking down the door of Apple's HQ like they would your home if you hadn't paid use lots of Apple products, including limousines, sports cars, and condos in the French Riviera. Say the word, I'm ready for a revolution!
    Don't even get me started on a revolution. I live in Fitzwalkerstan (the state formerly known as Wisconsin).

Edit: Yes very definitely the more they have the harder and dirtier they fight to keep it and take/get more.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

I found this article from last August. It talks about how much property tax they contribute, but nothing about them not paying.

http://www.ncoc.net/index.php?tray=c...p42&cid=103C49

Another reason why I shouldn't like Apple ;P

EDIT: I wonder if the reason it hasn't gotten out is the Laywers are flexing their pens again, threating to sue if anyone speaks about it. If this is the case... I'm sure TBCS will get a letter from Apple demanding this thread be removed.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Don't even get me started on a revolution. I live in Fitzwalkerstan (the state formerly known as Wisconsin).

Edit: Yes very definitely the more they have the harder and dirtier they fight to keep it and take/get more.
    Man, don;t get me started on this one either (I might get banned and take several of you with me... LOL!).

I wrote an email to the local newspaper to see if they could find out any more info on the Apple tax issue.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Have the teachers considered action themselves? Something along the lines of a strike? Seems like a good starting point. A teacher strike caused by Apple? That is juicy enough the media would cream their pants. After that it shouldn't take long for SOMETHING to happen.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    They refuse to pay until the county appraises their property at the value Apple wants
    Ahem... Hey Apple...I got news for you. YOU DON'T GET A SAY IN WHAT THE TAX APPRAISER SAYS YOUR PROPERTY IS WORTH! PAY YOUR DAMN TAXES!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Ahem... Hey Apple...I got news for you. YOU DON'T GET A SAY IN WHAT THE TAX APPRAISER SAYS YOUR PROPERTY IS WORTH! PAY YOUR DAMN TAXES!

aah. you forget, they live in appleopolis , not the united states.
    and as such, their form of currency is "Magic" which isn't accepted as an acceptable payment form in the US.
    Not dead yet