Thread: new to modding looking for advice

Fresh Paint

Default new to modding looking for advice

hey guys, I am from agrentina, and i'm new here in the forum,
    i'm planning to mod my first case, so i'd like if you can give me some ideas, and advices.

the case I choose is a Silicon Graphics 230 heres is a pic i found, but its the same as mine, i have the 21" SGI monitor and the SGI keyboard.

Rankenphile

Default Re: new to modding looking for advice

Welcome to the boards.

For ideas, browse through some of the worklogs and the idea zone. Nobody can tell you what to do with your case, but we can make suggestions. Your best bet would be to look around and see what others have done, see if anything inspires you. Consider your interests - do you play sports? Do you play video games? How about music, or cars, or other hobbies or interests? Do you want it to be themed, or just pimped out with flashy lights and windows and fans and such? Watercooled?

It really is a pretty personal sort of hobby, and a time-consuming one, and you're the one that will have to stare at this thing at the end of the day, so choose what you like best, what inspires you and what seems possible with your given resources, and go from there.

ATX Mental Case

wow lots of extra front panel room...id cut that out and put 120mm fan..or 2 in there. Youve got to tihnk of a theme...i in a current mod now...and im currently out of ideas. Cheak the Idea Zone because people that dont have enough $$ post ideas there...good luck.
    No genuis is a organized worker.

PROJECT "2GHz OF THUMPIN BASS" HAS BEGUN!!!! CHEAK IT OUT IN THE "PROJECT WORKLOGS" AREA.

Fresh Paint

about the theme, i know what you mean, i´ve seen may game or movie-related cases, but i´ll not go that way, in a year or wo the theme may be obolete, i prefer to manain some SGI things (it has a logo on he side, he window may be cuted arround it) and make a more "thechnical" theme, idk if that can be focused.
    appart from that, I´ll definatly go for a side window, what i´m not shure is on its shape, the classical rectangular looks boring, so im looking for an idea on the shape.

a window can be any shape... round, square, ect. maybe a bunch of smaller windows grouped together? you could cut somthing cool into your case like a half life logo.

Fresh Paint

well yes, i was thinking on somehing like that, the problem is that if you make a game or movie theme in a year or two it may be obsolete, so i prefer something abstract

What about a window etching of those jellyfish. It would be tough, but man...under a blue light it would look sweet! And jellyfish won't be obsolete, at least I don't think they're endangered. JK
    Jon

I dont think you would need to cut out all the strands, just some of the major body, and use something like EL wire for the strands and to outline the body. could work, but im a noobie here too so check it with an experienced guy

Fresh Paint

I was thinking about the light yesterday
    for the front I think it would be grat to place a neon behind the blue curve with the sgi logo.
    for the inside I was thinking on two sets of lights that can be turned on each at a time, 1 UV set, ie. for nigh o dark ambient, and one led/neon set to use when theres more ambient light. I was even thinking on an automatic switchin with a light sensor. what do you think about that?

and what do you think it´d be beter, for the inside. blue o red?