Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How would you "mod" a 4 foot tall tower?

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: How would you "mod" a 4 foot tall tower?

whenever i think of deiselpunk, i think mad max or sky captain.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    whenever i think of deiselpunk, i think mad max or sky captain.
    Definitely Sky Captain, that and the Fallout games are the best examples I can think of.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

ATX Mental Case RogueOpportunist's Avatar

Making that small airflow mod to those 2 rack chassis has got me looking at the rack doing one of these again... I love the dieselpunk idea but I'm not sure how I would pull it off, or for that matter what is "actually" classified as dieselpunk since there seems to be this rift between the styling of your post apocalyptic dieselpunk and your 50's era "sci-fi" dieselpunk.

I think if I was to try and go the dieselpunk route I'd aim for kind of a mix between Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and Final Fantasy... Not sure if you would classify either of those as dieselpunk though... Hmmmmm.

I was also thinking of making a borg/aliens kind of green, glowing, somewhat organic but not quite natural kind of look which in my mind would be much easier to pull off but at the same time seems kind of done to death... I dunno, I really like the dieselpunk idea, I'm just not 100% sure if what I'm thinking dieselpunk is is what dieselpunk is... you know?

Custom Title Honors

well, skycaptain is more of a combo of dieselpunk and steam punk. it's styling is very seampunkish, but nothing is steam powered it's all liquid fuel powered which makes it dieselpunk.

I've never read a formal definition, but I always took Sky Captain to be pure dieselpunk. I guess I always associated it with 40's and 50's era sci-fi. As with anything there are categories within categories, but Sky Captain struck me as the perfect example.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Well Wikipedia has this to say on the matter...

Dieselpunk is based on the aesthetics of the interbellum period through World War II (c. 1920-1945). This sub-genre is sometimes named Decopunk, referring to the Art Deco art style (including its Streamline Moderne variant). The genre combines the artistic and genre influences of the period (including pulp magazines, serial films, film noir, art deco, and wartime pinups) with postmodern technology and sensibilities. First coined in 2001 as a marketing term by game designer Lewis Pollak to describe his role-playing game Children of the Sun,[15] dieselpunk has grown to describe a distinct style of visual art, music, motion pictures, fiction, and engineering. Examples include Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Dark City, and the BioShock series.[16] A 1986 William Gibson short story in the "Burning Chrome collection describes this genre as "The Gernsback Continuum", after the works of contemporary writer Hugo Gernsback

That's pretty much dead on to what I have in my mind when I think Dieselpunk. The post apocalyptic Mad Max styling strikes me as being part of another genre entirely... Either way the cogs in my head are spinning full speed and there's smoke comin' out my ears now.

The Bioshock reference is a great example of a different category in the style. It seems less streamlined and more primitive than the stuff in Sky Captain for some reason.

I love it, don't get me wrong, but I like the Sky Captain style better.

Yeah, the way I kind of interpreted the BioShock artistic direction was that it was more of a "decayed" dieselpunk... The basic concept of dieselpunk/deco was there but it was far grungier which made sense for the setting, I mean from a real-world context you can walk into a building from any period that hasn't been restored and while you might be able to recognize the artistic era the building came from it's still not going to look like a true representation of that era's artistic form.

I think I would want to hold true to the more original clean line, unpolished metal, sci-fi industrial look though, as much as I loved the look of BioShock I just don't think "computer" when I think BioShock and considering the nature of this little project I'd want something with a bit more diesel and a bit less steam.

you should turn it into a dalek from doctor who lol
    "it only takes one voice to start a revolution"

I was thinking about a Dalek actually, when I saw the rack enclosure that was the first thing that came to mind since it was already big and black.

I can see the resemblance already.