Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me develop this idea plz

Question help me develop this idea plz

hey guys, in my never ending quest to find a device or way that i can me PC as a server for movies and songs and such..(IE ive got 600 gigs of media i wanna be able to access over the internet...have it stream to my laptop where ever i am in the world)... ive come across this thing called a "slingbox" (http://www.slingmedia.com/) it seemed at first to be the key.. HOWEVER..no mention of it streamin PC material..wondering if anyones tried this.. or has a solution? from what i understand from reviews and they`re site is that it accepts S-video and RCA etc and audio in.. and jsut streams it out to the net where u can access it.. but ... if its hooked up to a PC..could it some how possibly control the PC and tell the PC to put on certain movies etc?

this is the only way i could see it working.. lemme know what u think of this IDEA..
    1)a PC with massive HDD (on all the time) filled with tons of video and music and pics...
    2)PC is running Windows media center
    3)the PC has an infared port and a remote control which can be used to select different viewing options in media center (is this posisble?)
    4)the sling box is scanning the Pc's infred port and then communicating with it... then through sling medias software (which has a "virtual remote" (pic of remote on ur laptop screen) u can click a button on ur laptop remote screen thing.. sling box will tell the media center PC to turn on a video...
    5)the video will be sent from the PC via S-video to the sling box and then to ur laptop somewhere else in the world...

WOULD THIS SETUP WORK? i guess my question is... does windows media support remote controls first of all, and second.. would slingbox know how to communicate with media centers remote?

thanks guys..i know this is an inspiring topic so feel free to add on eh..this is my first attempt at reconciling this situation with sling..

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: help me develop this idea plz

If you want to view your stuff from anywhere, the solution is simple and free.

VNC.

VNC lets you remotely connect to your computer, as long as your PC runs the server, and you have the client.

google for RealVNC, that's what i use.

Keep in mind, you will have to set up ports/passwords in the server program, plus you will have to open the ports up on your firewall (all of them, if you have more than one, but mostly do a port redirect on your router), And if you want, get a no-ip.org domain so there's no ip address showing.

I often access my PC from school via VNC, but i turn off the server when i get home. =]

Enjoy.

Anodized

you could use mythtv, it uses a backend and a frontend, the backend handles the media and the frontend the GUI and output. these two do not necessarily need to be on the same machine.

But this would mean you need Linux.

ssh tunneling could work too, i'm not sure about sending remote information and such (i'm sure it can be done, but finding the libraries programmed for it might be the difficult part).

my $.02
    -.erik
    These go to eleven. -- Nigel, This is Spinal Tap

Rankenphile

Hamachi is a great free VPN program that allows you to basically network any computers you want over any broadband connection. I use it all the time with some friends of mine to create virtual lans for games and such. Works absolutely fantastic, is totally secure and is very cool in that it doesn't split your data across multiple packets the way that many VPNs do, but encrypts it and bundles your packets as it would across a normal LAN.

Resident Alcoholic

FTP server?

wow guys, im really impressed, i come from another forum and this same post was up there 3 days...70 somthiung ppl read it and no one even replied.. BS, thanks alot guys,
    anyways, bottom line.. i thought of an FTP server.. its more trouble then its worth.. as for the linux.. im a bobo when it comes to code of anything other than html... ill hafta pass on that tunneling buisness.. how ever... the hamachi and the VNC sound like they might be good, ill give both a try and get back to u guys very shortly.. just so u know.. im an overclocker, mainly a hardware guy so i can help u out with that... im also in the process of building a PC into a mini fridge.. beer and games.. aw yea.. just gotta work out condensation issues... trhanks again.. be back soon
    My Rig:
    OCZ DDR600 EL Platinum extreme edition
    DFI lanparty SLI-DR
    Athlon 64 3000+
    PSU Thermaltake 680w
    Armor case
    Logitech Lx700 combo
    WD -SATA 37G 10k + 250G SATA Caviar SE16
    Plextor PX716SA
    XFX GeForce 7800 GT
    on stock air cooling... i go from:
    DDR 400 2-2-2-5 @ 1.8Ghz CPU
    TO...
    DDR 600 3-4-4-10 @ 2.6Ghz CPU

ok i tried hamachi, seems like a very good program, and i can use my PC to get to other pc's and use their stuff, how ever... no one elses can get into mine.. i went into the HDD properties and allowed sharing over network etc... anyone know what to do form here on? thanks. it says "xx.xx.xx.xxx" (the adddress) the path is not found" etc.. thanks..
    My Rig:
    OCZ DDR600 EL Platinum extreme edition
    DFI lanparty SLI-DR
    Athlon 64 3000+
    PSU Thermaltake 680w
    Armor case
    Logitech Lx700 combo
    WD -SATA 37G 10k + 250G SATA Caviar SE16
    Plextor PX716SA
    XFX GeForce 7800 GT
    on stock air cooling... i go from:
    DDR 400 2-2-2-5 @ 1.8Ghz CPU
    TO...
    DDR 600 3-4-4-10 @ 2.6Ghz CPU

Rankenphile

Hmmm... I'll have to look around at my settings when I got home.

Glad we could help you out. I'll see what I can do to get you up and runnig the rest of the way.

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

for media streaming do a google search for for the following

"windows media"+"mms"

there is a microsloth product to do this i think its called windows media services. that should point you in the right direction.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

Another solution to for streaming is VLC. It runs in both linux and windows. I have been messing with it so that I can stream videos to my pda, unfortunately the ppc version isnt very robust, but it works great on my laptop. The only other issue is automating the process of using VOD (video on demand) with it.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

One other note.. I think one of the guys at work is doing something similar with a Snapstream product. Unfortunately yesterday was his last day so I dunno if I can get a hold of him. I bet if you google it, you could probably come up with the proper information.