Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: Unimatrix

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Unimatrix

Just had me a doodle and I'm thinking of using this as a window on the side panel of the case where the motherboard sits. Because of the almost unavoidable clutter that will be on the drive and PSU side, that panel is staying solid....

Black is metal, White is clear or tinted plexi (probably lightly tinted to keep it a little darker) and the grey would be frosted plexi to make it really glow....)

Thats 7 windows and this is seriously thick steel but if ya want what ya want you have to do the work lol

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

a laser or waterjet shop would make quick (and clean) work out of that thick steel

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looks nice. Is that design supposed to be anything in particular?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Yeah it's the borg symbol

lol, ok, I guess you know I'm not a Trekkie now.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Default Project: Unimatrix - Door Smoothing

Another day another update - I'm sick of my projects crawling along at a snails pace so I'm determined to push this one on as quickly as possible WITHOUT cutting corners.

As I mentioned before, I'm going to be putting a full automotive quality paint job on this case, and the only way to get a really good glossy finish is to have a really smooth surface to start with. My original plan was to remove the horizontal lines on the front door but leave the vertical slits but after my first attempt at using filler, that plan has now changed heh...

The filler I'm using is called Fantastic, a Upol product - the guys where I work tell me it's the best quality filler we keep in stock so it was the only option as far as I'm concerned. I can understand busy bodyshops using cheaper stuff as they go through so much of it and the cost savings add up - for me, as I'm only doing a small amount, the cost saving with a lower quality product isn't worth it IMO.

Lump of filler, drop of hardener and a high quality professional mixing board (yeah it's a lump of cardboard heh). There is a formal 50:1 mixing ratio for the filler but the guys I work with have told me not to worry too much about it. As long as the filler changes colour a little, but doesn't go PINK pink, it'll work - it just might take a little longer than the 20 mins on the bag to actually be ready for sanding.

First application - As I said I only wanted to get rid of the horizontal lines but after sanding this layer down, it became obvious that getting the filler back out of the gaps was going to be a mammoth job - and frankly, the kind of hassle that might make me give up altogether. The fact it, the case is now wrecked without this door so I have to get it right, and get it done, so I decided to fill all of the slots too. A generous second, and then third application of filler later, and a LOT of hand and air-polisher sanding later, and I got here...

It's almost perfect. I think I'm going to have to put one final skim on to get rid of a few minor marks but it is really smooth to the touch everywhere there isn't a pinhole. I'm saying pinhole but the marks are bigger than pins and definitely need another coat.

This is by far the worst imperfection - I figure it's about 2mm x 4mm x 1mm deep, at most, so easily finished with a final coat and sanding session.

It's mothers day here in the UK so I'm probably going to have to leave this there for today - I'm taking my mother out for dinner and I don't think she'd appreciate me turning up covered in dust and smelling of thinners

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

looking good! that should turn out real nice!

Looks good. Should make for a nice, smooth surface.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Sweet! Another trekkie build!
    Definately gonna watch this one! +Sub!
    ASPHIAX

Starrr trekkin, across the forum boards, only going forward cos we can't find reverse!!!!!

OOOOOOOOn another note lol...

Those 6 LEDs on the front of the case - I was thinking about some kind of hard disk activity meter where the harder the drive works, the more get lit, all off with zero activity, all 6 lit when the drive has been working for a "while"....

I don't think I need a power LED as I'm going to be using LED fans in the case so it'll already be obvious when the machine is turned on and the LAN activity LED requires soldering to the motherboard (I believe) and I may end up using this case with different parts as time passes so I think that's a no-go too....

I've already found a couple of 10 LED schematics but my electronics knowledge is poor at best - time to get me an edumacation I think!!!