Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Holy..... Well, at least it's Craftsman. :D

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Holy..... Well, at least it's Craftsman. :D

Right, so, the axle nut on my car is being a royal pain in the a**. Couldn't budge it without a breaker bar, so I went to Lowes and picked up a 7' section of blackpipe (hey, it was $2 more than the 4' pieces, ok?). That, plus my 1/2" Craftsman ratchet (yes, yes, I know...don't use a ratchet for that...well, as it turns out it wouldn't have mattered), I thought would be good to get it off. Well, I set it up, got the ratchet supported by the scissor jack, and heaved. ...and the wheel proceeded to spin, even though the car was in gear, sitting on the ground. Well, I tried again, and...POP! At first, I thought the nut had come loose, but nooooo....

It sheered off the freakin post!

...and this is one reason why I buy Craftsman. They're high quality (for non-professional grade), and when they do break, they replace it for free, no questions asked. I'll be swinging by Sears tomorrow and getting them to replace it. Also, I'll be picking up the proper tool to do this with.

Oh, and before anyone asks or recommends it, yes, the nut is now soaking in WD-40.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Default Re: Holy..... Well, at least it's Craftsman. :D

That's some pretty crazy torque! I've broken a few of those but never sheared the drive thingy (<--technical term) off. The ones I broke were all 1/4" and 3/8" drives too. Not a 1/2"!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

If you were at Home Depot why didn't you just get a breaker bar? A Husky one is $20. Would have been worth it when you count the cost of the pipe, with the fuel to go get the ratchet swapped seems like the breaker bar would have been about the same. Pretty sure a Craftsman one is under $30 as well.

Oh, get you some PB Blaster. I don't even have a can of WD40... Blaster is worth its weight in gold for all my rusty junk. I use that, and I have a couple cans of different ZEP lubes. I believe they are 45, and 2000. The 2000 is sweet because it goes on really thick, but when it sits it thickens into a grease. Makes it great for lubing parts you can't take apart.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    why didn't you just get a breaker bar?
    Honestly? Because I didn't think of it. That's how my dad always did it, so I figured, hey, if it works, why not? ...of course, the pipe he has for that is only about 3' long...but still. I'll probably still use the pipe with the breaker bar just because it makes it so damn easy. Leverage FTW. Oh, and there's a Sears on the way to work, so it won't be much extra driving.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

id watch that lifetime warranty with craftsmen. i broke the lock on my torque wrench and they refused to replace it something about its not a hand tool or some bs.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I break several craftsman ratchets a year. Usually I strip the locking mechanism inside. I have bent the handle before, replaced one that had visually been beaten to hell with a hammer, and even returned one that was missing everything but the handle. Sears honors that warranty no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    I break several craftsman ratchets a year. Usually I strip the locking mechanism inside. I have bent the handle before, replaced one that had visually been beaten to hell with a hammer, and even returned one that was missing everything but the handle. Sears honors that warranty no matter what.
    This. You sound like my dad. He abuses the hell out of his tools (when he can find them). He usually only buys the Craftsman stuff because it tends not to break, but if it does there's never any cost to replace it. He's definitely gotten some strange looks from Sears staff before and I'm sure everything he's brought in was expedited to a secret Craftsman engineering lab to find out what happened to it and why it broke. I'll bet my dad has a mile long case file of unsolved mysteries.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

When I was turning wrenches professionally I went through a lot of Craftsman ratchets also. I had one that I used a lot, always for the same job, and it always broke the same way, stripping the teeth, and my elbow always ended up slamming the floor when it did. What sensible engineer puts fine teeth on a ratchet with an eleven-inch handle??

Sears replaced three of them with brand new units, but the last two I broke they reached into a box under the register and tried to hand me a "refurbished" ratchet. Needless to say I wouldn't take it, but it took a lot of complaining those last two times. In fact, the only reason I got it was because I had one particular sales guy that I liked and I would wait until he was working to buy my tools (and my tool box) whenever I could. They worked on commission. Here's hoping you have better luck at your local Sears. That has been a long time ago, they may have given up the "refurbished replacement" policy.

The last one I got from them has never been used. I bought an eleven-inch Mac ratchet for $75 and it's been nothing but perfect for me. I've had a 3-foot cheater bar on it, and it's only 3/8" drive. That's a ludicrous price for a ratchet, but I know it will do anything I want it to do and not complain.

Edit: Let me add that since I'm not a professional mechanic any more you won't see me buying anything off the tool truck any more. Craftsman is fine for me now, didn't mean to make it sound otherwise. Honestly, Kobalt tools are my tool of choice now, sold at Lowes and they have the same warranty Craftsman does.
    Last edited by blueonblack; 04-04-2011 at 09:55 AM.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I forgot to mention that the only time I have had issues returning something, was when there was visible evidence that a non impact socket was used with an impact wrench. The square drive hole will have rounder than normal corners that come from the impact wrench pounding on them. Our local sears refused to take the cracked socket due to that visible damage on the drive hole. So I took it to another sears that was much larger, and they replaced it with no questions asked.

I am with BoB though, I use to have to replace the head gasket on one of my old eclipses every few months and the craftsman tq wrench I used kept breaking. I finally spent $180 on a Snapon from a tool truck I chased down and have not had a problem since. They even re calibrate it for me any time I think it needs it. But other than some stuff I bought off a Matco truck during a summer job one year, most of my tools are craftsman.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Honestly? Because I didn't think of it. That's how my dad always did it, so I figured, hey, if it works, why not? ...of course, the pipe he has for that is only about 3' long...but still. I'll probably still use the pipe with the breaker bar just because it makes it so damn easy. Leverage FTW. Oh, and there's a Sears on the way to work, so it won't be much extra driving.
    Haha, fair enough. Good news on the Sears as well. Should make things easier!

Over the years, I think I've gotten a good bead on where to spend, and where to save on tools. For example, I HATE using cheaper ratchets. For two main reasons. First being the fact that I find myself trying to hold the socket so I can get the ratchet to...ratchet properly since they aren't as smooth. Another random thought is, like blueonblack said, they'll try to stick you with a reburb. Like to see Sears give me a reburb socket that had the side wall blown out... Second simply being comfort. On the other hand as long as they have a warranty, and the size marks aren't going to wear off I have no problem with cheaper model sockets.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10