Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ummm...wait, whaaat!?!?!??!?! ...I hate corporations...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Ummm...wait, whaaat!?!?!??!?! ...I hate corporations...

Ok, little background first. I was hired at the company I currently work for back in July 2008 as an intern. Since then I went from intern to part-time in Jan 2009 (working 40hr/week, so only really part-time in terms of benefits), to full-time in Jan 2010. My duties and schedule didn't change at all with the different titles, it was entirely bureaucratic, mainly because I don't have a Bachelor's degree yet. Throughout that time, I did a huge variety of stuff, ranging from network security r&d to IT stuff to software development, and everywhere I went, my supervisors loved my work and never had anything bad to say about me. Everything's happy, yes?

Well, jump to yesterday...when I find out that, "Oh, sorry, the job you're working on now runs out of funding as of next Friday and we don't have anything else for you to do." ...not exactly the first time I've had a lul in available work, but apparently the first time since we got so fully under the control of the big corporation that bought us around the time I was hired. Before, I would go back on r&d, build my skillset, and move on to the next job in a month or two. Now? ...if one of the supervisors searching for an open spot doesn't find something, I'm gonna be out of a job after next week! -_^ ...gee, thanks for the warning, guys! I'm just gonna go over here and.....*($&^#$%$#!!!

Well, I suppose it could be worse. At least the job market around here is pretty active.

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering, yes, I was much more upset yesterday...which is why I didn't post anything yesterday... I found out about halfway through the day yesterday. ..yeah, I didn't get much done yesterday afternoon..

On Monday I'm gonna meet with one of our HR people and see what would happen in the way of a severance package, but yeah, this weekend is gonna involve much job-searching. -_^
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Default Re: Ummm...wait, whaaat!?!?!??!?! ...I hate corporations...

That sounds like it would be more of a laid off situation than a firing right? Then if they had more jobs come in and needed that position filled they would have to offer you the position first?

Then again it sucks either way. By the time they may offer you the position back you'd probably already have moved on.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully some project can be found to prevent your layoff. Maybe you can suggest something to management yourself?
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Yeah, it would definitely be 'laid off'/'downsized'/whatever the buzzword is these days. And the worst part is, I know the job I'm on now is going to have funding again in a few months! But yeah, by the time that happens I will have moved on since I can't really afford to wait around on them (you know, what with my mortgage and all).

Of course, the slightly amusing bit of this is that I'm the only person who really understands wtf is going on in most of the pile of *$%# that got dumped on my lap back in October with this latest job. So when they do get funding for the job again, they'll have to spend at a few months bringing whatever poor sap gets tapped for it up to speed.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Is anyone else getting let go too? Can you get transferred somewhere else in the company?

As far as I know, I'd be the only one let go, since I'm the only one on the bit of the job that is getting its funding cut. 5-6 of the lower-mid management that I've worked under (local upper, global lower, so about as high as I can go) are looking for somewhere in the company that I could transfer to, especially since we have, iirc, 4-5 local offices, that do a variety of stuff, but according to my supervisor, it's not looking good for them finding something. The real kicker, for me, is that nobody noticed that this was going to happen until yesterday! -_^ I mean, seriously? WTF? Hmm, let's see here, this client is going to stop paying us for this job on April 15th...maybe we should figure out what to do with the guy working that job? Nah! We'll think about that later... *later* ...wait, what? We had somebody working that job that the client was paying us for? Crap, what we gonna do with him?
    --Benjamin Franklin

That sucks. At least they gave you warning. Often that doesn't even happen.

...aaand, I got laid off today...

Congratulations, whoever in the corporate structure decided to cut off the last week I was supposed to have. Now you have a big chunk of uncommented, undocumented code and processes on your hands. -_^ Have fun.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    ...aaand, I got laid off today...

Congratulations, whoever in the corporate structure decided to cut off the last week I was supposed to have. Now you have a big chunk of uncommented, undocumented code and processes on your hands. -_^ Have fun.
    Did you at least load an office space virus to rip that place off big time? Hopefully all the decimal points were in the right place...

It sucks that is was someone else's stupidity that cost you your job.
    If you screw up yourself you can learn from it and move on but if someone else screws up there's not much to do except become slightly more cynical.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal