Thread: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit or Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit or Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

So its the big question. Vista or 7. I want to go with 64-bit because I will have 8GB of RAM in my new system.

If I go with Windows 7 I have to buy a new license... $180 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-762-_-Product

If I go with Vista, I would try to get a 64-bit version from the web or one of you guys? I have a key but saddly no disc or .ISO image. So I would need to aquire a good version.

Thoughts?

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit or Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

7 is worth every penny. Never thought I'd say that about a Microsoft OS, but they actually got it right this time.

There are a few personal issues, like not being able to organize icons within a folder freely, and Libraries, but overall an excellent successor to XP and a HUGE step up from Vista.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

I was reading about the features and I actually only need Home Premium. The steps up to Ultimate only bring things like Business solutions and Bit Locker. Or am I missing something?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

home premium is only $120 @ wally world, you can pick it up for like $90 online. All you need is the upgrade though, as you can do a clean fresh install from that with no issues

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Remote access is missing from HP, and the only reason I run Ultimate tbh - definitely 7 over vista tho - and thats coming from someone who just went from Vista x64 Ultimate TO 7 x64 Ultimate....

At the same time, if Vista is free effectively, theres no reason not to use it until the money for 7 is more forthcoming heh

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    home premium is only $120 @ wally world, you can pick it up for like $90 online. All you need is the upgrade though, as you can do a clean fresh install from that with no issues
    Is that something new with Windows 7? Can I upgrade a 32-bit OS with a 64-bit OS? Do I perform a clean install like normal? (boot from DVD and go?)

Custom Title Honors

yes you can "upgrade" from a 32 bit to a 64x win7. what will actually happen is it will tell you that you HAVE to do a fresh install when trying to upgrade from 32 to 64. the cool thing is that it will take everything from your old os and throw it into a folder named "windows old" so it will be accessible once the "upgrade" is done.

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    yes you can "upgrade" from a 32 bit to a 64x win7. what will actually happen is it will tell you that you HAVE to do a fresh install when trying to upgrade from 32 to 64. the cool thing is that it will take everything from your old os and throw it into a folder named "windows old" so it will be accessible once the "upgrade" is done.
    Sorry for all the questions... I'm just not sure about this due to the fact that when you upgraded from XP to Vista you lost a TON of HDD space for the upgrade. You had to do a fresh install to preserve as much of the HDD space as you could.

But I'll take y'alls word on it. I'll put the Windows 7 HP upgrade into the cart.

Thanks!

So I forgot I still had my college email and there is a Windows 7 Professional deal.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/...s/default.aspx

If you have a .edu address... get one... I'm getting the 32 and 64-bit versions. You get the Download + disk.