Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman Case Mod

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Wonder Woman Case Mod

looking good!

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

A little wet-sanding with something like 800 then 1200 followed by a light dustcoat over the affected area and you'll never know that run was there....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    A little wet-sanding with something like 800 then 1200 followed by a light dustcoat over the affected area and you'll never know that run was there....

I'll be scraping it down once it cures, with a razor blade ( very very carefully) and then sand it flat. This paint is about the best you can get for needing to do repairs so I got lucky.

I'll let it cure so the sag is hard as a rock and then I'll work some magic (hopefully).
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

Paint update time -

So it cured long enough that I can get back to work on it.

The first thing I need to do is take care of that run. It requires a LOT of patience which is something I don't have and ironically is what made the run in the first place.

There is a special tool for removing runs like this ....a new razor blade.

I use it to scrape the bad part off. Very very carefully hold the blade straight up and down and drag it towards you taking off little shavings.

So keep doing this until you see and feel the bad spot disappear and it feels smooth. It will be ready for sanding at this point. Pretty easy huh?

It works great until you tilt the blade a little off and then you leave a gouge like this --

^^^^ THIS = VERY BAD :oops: Except that I put a lot of paint on so I might be able to save it!

Time for some sanding. I started with 800 grit just on the spots I scraped down. Follow that with 1000, 1500, and finally 2000.

Not sure if the gouge is going to come out..only one way to find out....keep sanding...

I started on the other side panel and this shows what a few passes with 1000 grit will do.

It looks like I'm ruining the paint but this is what you have to go through for that showroom shine.

You will quickly see any tiny imperfections like a speck of dust or a bug that flew in. They sand out really easy so don't panic.

Here is a critical step when sanding and buffing. You need to protect edges. Put some tape along the edge about 1/8" in so that when you sand of buff you don't take too much off. Edges will cut through really easy.

Here is the side panel after a 1500 grit rub down.

And after a 2000 grit rub down. It looks like a foggy paint at this point.

And after I hit it with a soft cloth and a little dab of rubbing compound you can see the finish it will have. I'll be using a small power buffer to make it a lot faster. And the end result will be a mirror finish.

Oh, remember that little gouge I had to sand out? Turns out it was a little deeper than I hoped so I sanded through to the primer. Notice the small grayish round spot? :roll:

Ya, that one!! Now I get to repaint the panel. Oh well, stuff happens. :x

Remember the game where the deep voice says " FLAWLESS VICTORY"?

That's how I felt when I sprayed the panel this time.

I noticed my spray pattern seemed odd with my gun and discovered it has a speck of something in it. It may have led to my issues the first time around since I couldn't get the flow-out right. I just kept spraying instead of investigating. Again, I have no patience. :oops:

Look at this reflection. I may not need to touch it. Not even with a buffer.

Now I will be able to send the case off for some art work . 8-)

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BS Mods View Post
    Remember the game where the deep voice says " FLAWLESS VICTORY"?
    Mortal Kombat FTW

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

FINISH HIM..........er, it.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

TOASTYYYYYY!!!!!!!

nice work!

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BS Mods View Post
    Again, I have no patience. :oops:

Look at this reflection. I may not need to touch it. Not even with a buffer.
    No patience indeed lol - you'll always get a better finish flat and polished than just spraying, no matter how it looks at first

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

I buffed out the paint today. It turned out great! Just the way I wanted it.

I bought new compound and new pads since this is black and it will show every flaw or scratch.

I started out with a pad made for cutting the paint and used rubbing compound. This is the compound I have always used and trusted.

After I cut the paint down with the buffer this is the reflection I got without getting to the polish yet. You can see my hand reflection.

Next up is the polish. It brings the shine out and gets rid of any swirls or light scratches. The pad is specially designed to eliminate swirl marks.

And here is the reflection you get when done. This is a picture of the case itself but it looks like I just took a picture of the driveway. See the indentation of the side panel on the right?

How about now??

Now that's what I call mirror black!!

Remember the original texture??

This is much, much better.

Now I have to do a little work to the plastic front panel to give it a good shine too. It's plastic so I may try to sand and polish it or just go right to painting it. You can see with the panel on the case it does not match. I'll get to it next.