Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman Case Mod

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Wonder Woman Case Mod

I have to ask, did painting the motherboard shorten the motherboards life span or make temperatures worse, anything negative come from painting it all? something I thought of doing ages ago but never went for it, same with heatsinks . I've seen some good VHT paints so I guess that's whats needed to do this.

That gpu cover looks extremely well done .

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    I have to ask, did painting the motherboard shorten the motherboards life span or make temperatures worse, anything negative come from painting it all? something I thought of doing ages ago but never went for it, same with heatsinks . I've seen some good VHT paints so I guess that's whats needed to do this.

That gpu cover looks extremely well done .
    This case was built for a customer over a year ago. It's still running just fine today and he games on it regularly. There was quite a bit of research done before I just started blasting parts with paint. It's a lot to get into but basically you need to spray the electronics with conformal coating then you can topcoat them with paint. I have a build log I will pm you.

Here are a couple shots of it finished. Totally blacked out except the chrome cooler. It looks pretty sinister in person. Most people that saw it said that it didn't look real.

Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BS Mods View Post

I just got this case from my old boss. Computer he was going to throw away.

Quote Originally Posted by BS Mods View Post
    This case was built for a customer over a year ago. It's still running just fine today and he games on it regularly. There was quite a bit of research done before I just started blasting parts with paint. It's a lot to get into but basically you need to spray the electronics with conformal coating then you can topcoat them with paint. I have a build log I will pm you.

Here are a couple shots of it finished. Totally blacked out except the chrome cooler. It looks pretty sinister in person. Most people that saw it said that it didn't look real.
    Cheers mate, I'm not currently thinking of painting a motherboard but would be great to know the measures needed to do it right.

It does look weird seeing a full motherboard covered like that but awesome, & could mask areas to add a bit of variation, sometimes get ugly motherboards that could benefit from a different colour but not as much as some used to be , so yeah swing me a PM mate, appreciated .

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    I just got this case from my old boss. Computer he was going to throw away.
    Nice catch .

Waynio-

Tried to PM you the build log but you have pm's disabled. I'm not sure about the rules of posting a link to another forum at a different site although it's not a modding site so maybe it's ok?

Fuganater-

Nice score on that case. They are nice to work with and really have a great style to them.

Just logged in to check & the box is ticked for receiving PM's but the last PM I got was when I completed air cube, doesn't matter mate if you can't PM .

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    Just logged in to check & the box is ticked for receiving PM's but the last PM I got was when I completed air cube, doesn't matter mate if you can't PM .
    Here's what I get -

vBulletin Message
    Waynio has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Ok then here is the link if you want to check out the whole build.

http://www.pdxlan.net/forums/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

Sort of a small update -

I received a package today that had a couple goodies in it from Performance PC's.

I ordered up a set of new feet. These are gold of course. They seem to be the only ones that had gold. I prefer MNPCTECH feet but like I said I needed gold. And I ordered a pin removal tool for my psu wires. I am scared to use it since they are so fragile.

I picked up a piece of acrylic out of the scrap pile at my my local plastic shop. Only $ 6.00 woot!!
    And it matches the original side window tint. It was 2404 bronze.

I decided I would try to put a recess all the way around the acrylic so when I drop it in the hole it will be sticking out barely rather that sitting back or being perfectly flush. The original window was beveled and stuck out a little. It looked good but it had that fan in the way.
    In doing this it makes a heck of a lot of extra work but I think it will be one of those little details that adds to the build. As if this build doesn't already have enough to look at :wink:

So of course the first thing was to cut it to the irregular shape and leave extra around the edges for mounting and doing the recess. I cut it to size and was going to use my router table to mill off half the thickness of the material around the edges but right when I fired up the router it squealed loud, then started chattering, and then started smoking!! Plan "B" - much harder and a lot more dangerous. Use the table saw and chop saw.

I cut a line with the chop saw around the edges that would be my stopping point once I threw it on the table saw.

Then I moved it to the table saw and cut off the excess just up to my previous cut. This made me very nervous.

What I ended up with was a step all the way around

So I filed it and sanded it smooth

And polished it up with some rubbing compound

I dremeled the notches for the hold down tabs and it fits!!

I'm leaving the paper on for now so I keep the scratches to a minimum. Once I start playing with lighting I will have to peel it off.

In the meantime I will also shoot a coat of black on the DVD drives and finish detailing the PSU.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

nice job on the window replacement! +rep

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    nice job on the window replacement! +rep

Thanks! It was a bit nerve racking.

Ok so I could not wait to see what the window looked like so I HAD to peel the paper off.

Much cleaner!

Just before I headed off to work my doorbell rang and it was Santa, err uh, U.P.S.

I got a few goodies today -

It's the lighting from Danger Den. The i5-2500k proc, the Thermaltake cooler, and some SATA 3.0 cables from the Egg.

The first thing I wanted to do was switch out the red led's in the cooler for some gold ones. I tore into the cooler only to discover the led's are integrated into the control board of the fan. There is no way to replace them. At least they are red and not a oddball color like green.

One thing that immediately jumped out at me was the wiring coming out the top of the cooler fan.

I don't like looking at wires so guess what.....time for some modding.
    I tore out the fan so I could focus on the cooling part and figure out where to hide the wires.

Then I realized there is a hole directly in top of the wires and it runs straight back down through all the fins.

Just gotta make the hole a little bigger- This scares me a little because one wrong move and I'm buying another cooler.

Also the wires need sleeved to hide them better.

So the hole is drilled, wires are sleeved, and ready for assembly. Fits perfect!

I kind of think this is how they should make them anyway. Who wants the wires sticking out the front?

And a pic of it installed -

I tried the side panel and the window "barely" clears the front of this thing.

I also painted the dvd drives but I'll spare you that boring detail. I started on the PSU again. I didn't really like the gold paint. I'll be going back to the black but might add a few stars.

I am so glad I started this thing sort of early. I have had to mod or paint damn near everything.

Hopefully my spool of Super Leet Wonder Womanish sleeving will be here before the weekend so I can start on that. It will bring everything together and if you ever saw Wonder Woman you'll understand what significance it has.