Thread: Shockwave and Flash slooooooow

Default Shockwave and Flash slooooooow

Ok this isn't really the right place I'm guessing as my computer is working but I'm sick of slow facebook apps so I thought I'd see if you guys can tell me what's up.

I don't play many games as I'd rather use my life for something more creative but sadly I am a bit weak so every so often I get sucked in! Most games use shockwave or flash players though and mine are apparently way slower than they should be. I'd assumed it was my internet connection but a mate of mine had his working lightning fast over a LAN so it's clearly a hardware thing.

Anyway, I'm ready to upgrade my CPU and RAM but I don't think either one should be so bad as to be causing these issues. I have to dash out now and am not sure of my CPU off the top of my head but will post full specs later. If anyone can tell me what's most likely to be causing the slowdown though that'd be great!

And if you want to give me a ncie cheap Intel i-something, that'd be nice too

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Shockwave and Flash slooooooow

Whats your internet like? Mine runs balls slow but thats because I'm in Africa.

I haven't played online games with Flash but there have been updates for it recently, annoying update pop-ups nearly every week for the last few weeks so maybe there was a problem with flash/shockwave, have you updated recently worth a try if you haven't.

Like I said, it's definitely something wrong with my specific rig as a friend who connected a newer mini desktop to my connection had no problem with exactly the same game.

Specs follow, taken everything from my Device manager as I've never written down what I have before! I'm looking to upgrade as I mentioned so any thoughts on what should be the priority item to upgrade (CPU and Mobo I think) is welcome here too!

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz (there are 2 of these listed under processors for some reason...)
    2GB DDR2 RAM (I have 4GB of Corsair Dominator but it seems to be incompatible )
    ATI Radeon HD 4860
    1TB HDD with Windows XP Home, SP3

Don't know the mobo but will be changing that and the processor asap. Like I said I have 2x2GB sticks of Corsair which I was hoping to replace my 2x1GB sticks of pants stuff that is currently installed. IIRC though it failed to boot when I had the dominator stuff installed so I think there's some compatability issues there

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

More than likely the Dominator sticks would need a voltage boost, all of the DDR2 I have from them run at 2.1V instead of the DDR2 1.8V spec. Other than that, as beta-brain mentioned an update is the first thing to check. My desktop with discrete graphics demolishes any of my other systems due to the hardware acceleration that is in the new version of Flash.
    TheMainMan

Custom Title Honors

maybe just upgrading your video card would help. of course after updating flash.

I was kind of hoping the GPU wouldn't be that major a concern as it's much newer than the rest of the computer. I've been looking to just find a second identical card and use them in crossfire but I need a new mobo for that anyway. Priority as I say is mobo and SPU which I'd live maybe an i5 for. Are there any particularly good bundles out there that could give me a nice lot of RAM space and space for crossfire? I've not found many that I like for reasonable prices so far...

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

try updateing the flash, as one guy said, but also make sure your 4xxx series drivers are up to date. that can do a world of good. the card should be able to play any flash game no problem.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all