Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition: The TBCS Folding@Home Team

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Competition: The TBCS Folding@Home Team

[drupal=638]Competition: The TBCS Folding@Home Team[/drupal]

By Colin M. Ormsby

Hello and welcome to another TBCS competition. This time we're going to use a little hardware goodness to try to push all of you computing maniacs to donate all those spare CPU/GPU cycles to a good cause. Thermaltake have stepped up to the plate to offer a prize for the winner in the form of one of the new Azurues gaming mice with a $50 value.

Here at TBCS it's always nice to see people do something for a good cause. We had a truly awesome turnout for our recent fundraising effort for partylikearockstar, so we already know how great you guys can be when it comes to putting in that little extra effort for someone in need.

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which aims to use computers all over the world to simulate protein folding, all of which, in it's own way, can contribute to potentially world-changing medical and scientific research, and the best thing about it, is that it can effectively work in the background of your computer only using that power which you aren't already using for something else.

TBCS has it's own official folding@home team, specifically team number 191053 and we want your CPU and GPU cycles to push our team even further up the ranking tables. Since we started, we've already completed over 5500 work units for a total score well in excess of 4,000,000 points and now we want, with Thermaltakes help, to give you guys the chance to get something back for your time, effort, and power bill!

This competition is going to be a random draw type of affair. Team members will be able to qualify for up to 7 entries in the draw, and at the end of the 4 week period for which we'll be running the competition, a single winner will be drawn "out of the hat" and will recieve an Azurues Optical Gaming Mouse, courtesy of Thermaltake.

The Azurues Optical Gaming Mouse features, among other things, removable weights, rubber coating, up to 1600dpi sensitivity, a low-friction base, a braided cable with a full speed USB connection, topped off with some subtle illumination. Rest assured, this is NOT your average $5 mouse :D

The rules are fairly simple, and the competition has been designed to give pretty much anyone a chance at winning, while still showing a little extra appreciation to those members who are really churning out high numbers.

How to "earn" entries in the draw....

If you produce a single workunit at any point in the 4 weeks of the competition, you will earn one entry into the draw.

You will also receive an additional entry for each week in which you produce 5 or more workunits.

Finally you will receive an additional two entries if you produce over 100,000 points during the full competition period.

Now for the rules....

1. You must be a member of the TBCS forums.
    2. You must notify slaveofconvention if your folding username differs notably from your forum username.
    3. If you want to have friends and or family fold for you, by all means go ahead but they MUST use YOUR folding username - saying "Oh by the way, this user was actually folding for me" will not matter.
    4. For the purposes of tracking and qualification, the only acceptable proof of production is going to be the individual statistics provided by the Extreme Overclocking page (see, there was a good reason I was pushing so hard to get us into the top 1200).
    5. This competition will run from Midnight on 30th April/1st May until Midnight on 28th/29th May based on the times used by the Extreme Overclocking page.
    6. There is NO previous folding requirement, so even if you haven't folded for TBCS in the past, you can still qualify for all seven chances to win.
    7. As is the norm in TBCS competitions, this is NOT open to members of staff.
    8. Finally, because the prize isn't going to cost a small fortune to ship, we're pleased to announce that this competition is open to everyone irrespective of location. (well ok, we DO require that you be a resident of the planet Earth, but that isn't asking too much, is it?)

For those of you not familiar with the Extreme Overclocking page, you can find it here

The stats we'll be watching are those under "weekly production" at the bottom of the page of individual stats as produced by Extreme Overclocking. If you want to check yours out, this is the set of stats in question....

You could potentially have as many as 7 entries in the draw if you're one of our power-producers. At the same time, we have also taken the time to make sure that those of you with lower powered machines will still have a real chance at a prize.

100,000 points may seem like a lot, but bearing in mind we're running this competition over a 4 week period, that only equates to a ppd of 3572 which is within the reach of most modern computers. The 5 workunit qualification should be within reach of pretty much everyone, especially when you bear in mind that there is no rule stating that you can only have the folding software running on a single PC.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the forums or my sending slaveofconvention a PM and he'll get an answer to you as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 04-27-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Default Re: Competition: The TBCS Folding@Home Team

What about those of using BIGADV to pump out higher value work units 1 WU takes 3 days
    Not dead yet

Any WU counts, they don't have to just be CPU WUs so GPU units will help - I don't think there's anyone only doing bigadv units on the only pc they're using, is there?

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Sweet.

Now, will extreme overclockings 24hr thing level out within the next couple days, as there is no way it is keeping track of the right value as it is. The points went up the correct amount today, but the 24hr value hasn't. Probably just have to wait it out another day or so I suppose.

I keep checking things every hour, lol. For whatever reason, it is exciting to me to watch my numbers go upward. I don't know why. Then again sometimes I sit and stare at progress bars slowly going up for no reason. I don't know what is wrong with me sometimes.

Edit: Okay, things look right in the weekly/daily section, but for whatever reason the 24hr one seems way off for everyone. I'll just wait things out, lol.

We were only tracked from 6pm onwards on the first day so we have an artifically low first day production - the second day isnt yet complete so again, its artificially low. Your average will improve rapidly over time but for the purposes of this competition, it won't matter. I'll be looking at actual weekly output, not averages

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Aww, MAN!

I push 100PPD MAX

I have NO graphics cards capable of GPU folding, so I can't reach that high!

*Wait. Didn't read completely, that's the powerproducers. I can get entered *phew!*

**User list, fyi . Plus, at our current rate, we'll reach top 100 in 7 years., and be in 1000s in a week.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Sweet! im going to oc my 950 to 4ghz and run it 24 seven for big advantage. dont know if my graphics cards will help or not, as ati dont work as well as nvidia
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Well according to that I'm only managing a little over 260 a day with my 3870x2 and cpu going 24/7. Does that seem right? I know my cpu isn't worth much though. I don't really know what I'm doing just thought I'd join in since it was sitting here idle most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Well according to that I'm only managing a little over 260 a day with my 3870x2 and cpu going 24/7. Does that seem right? I know my cpu isn't worth much though. I don't really know what I'm doing just thought I'd join in since it was sitting here idle most of the time.
    No, that isn't right. Yesterday was the only day that average has counted...and it wasn't a full day, only a handful of hours. Since today hasn't finished, that handful of hours is all the average is comprised of...which isn't technically an average. You earned 1,584 points in the last 24 hours, so the average will start rising to accurate levels in the next few days.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

Well, this gives me the excuse I've been needing to start on Project Origami...just as soon as Fuganater's board & RAM he sold me arrives. Stay tuned for a worklog, coming to a monitor near you.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.