Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Honeycomb

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: Project: Maximus Serverus

i'm using the amd athlon 2 dual core 3.0ghz chip. although it is not screamer compared the the insanity of some people's processors, it is more than adequate for me. basically, i have that chip and the onboard video (radeon 4290) and i was absolutely amazed at how fast my pc runs. the only thing it's a bit slow with is ripping dvds. now granted i'm not playing the absolute most cutting edge games, but return to castle wolfenstein and doom 3 play flawlessly with all the setting turned all the way up and the best screen resolution that my 23" monitor will allow.

so, my opinion is that the dual core athlon 2s will be more than what you need for building a file server.

this is the processor i'm using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103903

it appears that the extra cores are not unlockable on these chips, but i think there are some athlon 2s and some phenom 2s that are. so you might look into that and get a dual core chip that has unlockable cores and then just unlock em for some cheap quad core goodness.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Ya it will be mostly a file server but might host a website in the future. I guess I'll just stick with the quad core. I'm not worried about $30 because its still under my budget of $100. Still need to find a good mobo though.

Custom Title Honors

i had the extra dough to blow when i built my machine, i would have gone with the quad core whether i needed it or not.

i think my point actually was that if my dual core athlon 2 would be more than enough, then the quad core you're looking at should make you happy with it performance. i think that's what you were asking in the first place, right? if the quad core would be good enough?

Yes that and what a good mobo would be if anyone had suggestions. Intel motherboards are easy to find. 1 slot only. But with AMD the motherboards can fit like 4 diff procs.... annoying when trying to find a good one.

Custom Title Honors

i've actually always found it easier to understand the amd sockets. but anyway, for your athlon 2 quad core i'd say go with pretty much any mobo that has the 880g, 890gx, or 890fx chipset. the 890fx being the most expensive though. i have an asus m4a89gtd pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131631

if that's out of your pirce range, then just get a mobo from a manufacturer that you like with an am3 scoket.

That mobo looks nice and isn't too expensive but it only has SATA 6Gb/s. I need 3Gb/s ports...

I found this mobo. It only has 5 SATA 3Gb/s but thats the most with a 880G chipset. The ones above it only have SATA 6Gb/s or like 2 3Gb/s ports. $100 is my limit but 5 bucks over is ok unless myself or someone else finds something better.
    3 of these for controllers. That gives me 1 for the OS and 16 HDDs. Does anyone know of some controllers that have 6 SATA 3Gb/s on it? I can't find any.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Sata 6 is twice the speed (in theory) of Sata 3 so don't let that put you off - its completely backwards compatible so you can put standard 1.5Gbps or 3Gbps drives on the 6Gbps channels

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Ya I know its faster. I'm putting SATA 6 drives into Project: Rage but I don't think I could afford to do that with all of them in a server with alot of drives.

Either way I didn't know it was backwards compatable... Might have to revisit newegg to find a new mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-13128444-L07B

Found this on todays Newegg deals email. Wacha think?

Custom Title Honors

that looks like a steal to me.

and like slaveguy said, the sata 6gb ports will throttle down if you connect a slower sata drive to them. so that's a non issue. but it gives you the capability of hooking up sata 6 drives in the future.