Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MediaPhile

Default MediaPhile

Ok, this is not so much a mod per se as it is a "clean up" and watercool installation on my HTPC. I still have the Watercubed mod at home and once I escape my tiny little apartment and get some working space I do plan to finish that one too. But this one should be quick, not a scratch build.

So I have been putting this together with spare parts for some time now, I did pick up some waterblocks from DangerDen for my old 5870's and some WC components from XSPC. I was rather shocked at the quality of the DD blocks though, worst products I have ever gotten from them and the cost was high! I don't know what happened, probably just a bad day at the plant but the holes for all of the blocks were so poorly tapped that the screws holding down the plates to the card stripped while trying to fasten it tightly to the card. One of them was covered in corroded fingerprints, and the other's plexi side had stripped threads for the post. sheesh, DD dropped the ball on these muthas but maybe I can salvage them. Anyway, here is what I got done today, just some wiring and sleeving thus far.

I installed the CPU block using some old hardware I had in a box from a block I bought from Paul Capello ages ago, the XSPC block was made for an up to date model board but mine is anything up to date. I took the brackets out and painted them back at my apartments and mounted it. Then packed the whole mess up to bring to my folks place to make use of the "man cave" to do the rest of the work.

I painted the motherboard tray back home but it turned out like rubbish, will need to redo that...

Most of the work I did today was just wiring for the video cards, boring boring...

Last edited by jdbnsn; 05-08-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Default Re: DataPhile

Lookin good. It looks like the HTPC is really coming back with a vengeance. I've been wanting to build one for a while now too.

Here's a pic of the new RAM cooler I got from Fuganater, skinned and painted but not finished...

And a little bit of a shot of those misc brackets I threw together..

I am way burned out on clear case windows so I yanked out the plexi and cut a sheet of ABS to fill the void. I want to build a vent for the top which is going to be the next step...

"At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Excellent! Good to see you back in action Jon, looking very nice.

So to be clear, your HTPC has two water-cooled 5870 cards in it? I know that it's not really overkill unless something dies from it, I believe that with all my heart, but what exactly to you do with this HTPC?

“Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    Excellent! Good to see you back in action Jon, looking very nice.

So to be clear, your HTPC has two water-cooled 5870 cards in it? I know that it's not really overkill unless something dies from it, I believe that with all my heart, but what exactly to you do with this HTPC?

ikr? two 5870's? for a htpc?
    two 5870's are perfect for running eyefinity across 6 different screens, all with different video content. =P adult videos, perhaps? jk.

but seriously, looking clean! beautiful work, as always!
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

6*2560*1600 displays???
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

LOL! Geeezzz guys, of all the people I thought you would understand! Seriously though I use the PC on a big TV and would like to be able to use it for gaming BF3 from time to time. Gotta have GPU muscle for that.

Custom Title Honors

i understand dude, i understand >_>

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Clearly I read the acronym wrong, this is a Hyperspace Transport PC.

My mistake.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

This might be the first worklog by jdbsan I have ever seen....