Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Honeycomb

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Maximus Serverus

Yay for new toys.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Maximus Serverus

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Yay for new toys.
    ditto

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default New Design for Mobo Side Panel

Started working on the side panel again. I wasn't happy with the last one so here is the new one so far.

Going to be doing more work tonight on it.

Default Testing

Got the motherboard tray from Mountain Mods finally and I decided its time to test out the hardware to make sure its all good. I didn't attach the other back part that had the fan hole in it because it will just get in the way when I go to mount this to the case.

Mobo, RAM and Power/Reset switches installed.

CPU

PSU

Since Everything was hooked up correctly I figured it was time to power it up. I flicked the switch on the PSU and hit the Power button and BOOM. The freaking $200 PSU blew up. I was so mad. Luckily I have my old one that I'm giving my sister.

That PSU booted just fine. I started the RMA already with Newegg for the PSU so I need to mail that out tomorrow.

Here are the switches in the dark. The "O" one is power and the dot one is the reset button. I put the LED for the reset to the HDD activity LED so it gets lit and I can see the HDD activity! 2 with 1 is good!

Everything after that went pretty smooth. I found out that my SATA DVD drive was bad so I put on an old IDE one and it installed WHS just fine.

My Plexi sponsor is sending me the plexi tomorrow or Friday so I should have it in about a week and then I can remeasure everything and start cutting the frame. Once that is built I will start to figure out how to mount all the plexi to it.

Cheers till then.

Default Re: Project: Honeycomb

Found a new rendering program. Its pretty cool. Called Kerkythea. Well its new to me but the last revision of the program was 2008.

Looking at some more mods I thought of a few new things to do. Pics to come later today.

Default Case Fans

Got my order in from Newegg with some nice case fans!

8x Zigmatek 140mm Orange fans with White LEDs

They have small blades but they move a ton of air.

Now lets make them look pretty!

Removed the sticker.

Sleeve them!!

At first I kept the stock white connector but I then decided that it would look funny and stand out. So I replaced them with the black ones I ordered for the fan extension cables. Didn't take a pick but they look good.

All of them done.

I got bored last night so I figured I would start cutting the shrink tubing to 15mm lengths.

14.99.... close enough

These are all ready

Need to trim these ones down later. They are about 1mm off. Maybe less. Just need to trim a hair off of them.

Cheers till next time.

Default An Evening Designing

So I spent the past 6 hours roughly working on the design. Leaning some new techniques too.

Here are the shots I took after figuring out how to get Kerkythea and Sketchup v8 to play nice. They are all very low res for now. The final design will be all high res. They will take probably close to 15-30 minutes to render ^^

Inside the mobo side

You can see I started playing with the cabling up top where the ATX Power cable comes through the pelxi.

HDD side

Now in the middle I had an ingenious to hide my cabling. I would put a piece of plexi down the center about 1 to 1.5" off the center panel. It would be anchored with nuts and bolts and I'll use aluminum spacers to make it sturdy and exact. there is also a piece of orange pexi that will either be UV reactive or have LEDs in it.

This is not the final layout. Its getting close but isn't there yet. Lets see if I can score a WC sponsor or 2 and then we will have some major changes. I have them in mind but don't want to jinx myself by making the model yet.

I found a few things out and I just might have to put some tutorials together for everyone. But that will take a few days.

Cheers till next time.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looks great!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

It's really starting to come together. Looks great.

Kerkythea is awesome but I wish I had the patience to learn it. I got frustrated right away. It's just me.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

Received lots of goodies and started working last night. I'll have an update in the next few days.