Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: project M8 (CaseLabs M8 workstation build)

Default Re: project M8 (CaseLabs M8 workstation build)

OK, time for an update!

As you might have noticed by looking at my previous mod, PC-Beto, I like to have tidy cable routing in the case. This will be no different.

The plan is to get a fully modular PSU, and make every cable that have to go to the motherboard, go behind the mobo tray.
    To do this, I will be using a 3D printer.

Now, all the haters that sometimes crawl up from their holes yelling "bwuuhuuh CNC machining is killing modding, and it have nothing to do with creativity" better slam their head against a wall and GTFO beacuse this machine is EPIC!

What you see in this picture is the part almost completet with support material at the bottom, and the actual plastic 3d print on top. It is obvious that you cant print into thin air, so it needs some sort of support structure in certain places. Other than that, it works almost just like a normal printer, exept that it prints in multiple layers to give the third dimension.

The finished part, this particular part took 5 hours to print. I could have cut the time down by having set the density of the printet material to 75 percent, but I wanted it to be sturdy.

And this is what I will actually be using it for! Routing the 24 pins cables.

On the backside the cables will run and join with cables from grafic cards and 8 pins, that I have yet to design. Note, this is mearly a prototype, and not likely to look anything like the final version, I just wanted to see if the concept would work, and it most certainly does!

Now, I will have to do some milling into the motherboard plate to make it fit perfectly, and a cover plate will go onto the whole section.

Also wanted to see how it looks when painted black. I need to fill the part down better beacuse you can still see the different layers from the printer. To make it entirely smooth, I have to hit it with some sanding love.

You can also tap it (pun intended)

How the white version would look,

And the black. I think I will stick with black. It seems to fit in the best with the white wirering.

And on another note, I sold my three 360 mm radiators! Replacements should be here within two weeks, and boy am I exited to get them!

Now, back to the drawing board. I have a few cosy hours infront of the computer in a 3d program to kill to finish up the cads to the cable system! And the a few days of printing lol

Stay tuned and thanks for reading!
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

that is a SICK idea! Love it!

I love it too!! very cool!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

as to the question of what color to paint it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9DDpmyPZZA
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Another p0Pe mod?! Definitely subbed! Whoo!
    TheMainMan

Hehe thanks guys

Print done!!! Could not wait to get off at work and pick this up I had to drive out to the school this morning to start it up beacuse I did not trust that the guy before me had startet the next print in line, and I was right

But first of all, I would like to introduce my new psu for this build! Got this one unused from a mate! This puppy should provide plenty of power for the components that will go in, and I highly doubt that I will EVER max it out lol!

Now this is the "not so pritty" part that I want to do something too. Even if sleeved this IMO looks bad.

A thing that I am not to fond of with the case is the round holes in the back and inside. Its a square case, so it need square parts

Again, to show the plugs.

But now for the fun stuff!!! Cant tell you how glad I was to see this

Parts as they looked in the machine. You can clearly see the brown stuff that is the support material, and the actual "white" stuff that is the plastic.

I printed 6 parts that would tell me if I had all the measurements correct.

Just to show the scale of the parts, here is a picture of some of the stuff. You can see that the printer prints 4 layers per milimeter!

After breaking off the support material, the parts are ready for use! These were easy, but most of the other parts will under normal circumstances need to be put into an acid bath for 10 hours or so.

The two plates you saw before will be put together and mounted here. I need to finish the design and print two more. I have a certain plan to pimp these up further They simply "click" together which is very usefull

And a shot from the inside.

This is the most important part, so let me show you how I want it to work.
    The plan is to take the plugs for the psu, and mount them in this part.

To hold the peices in place, I made a part looking like this to "clamp" into the plug.

This basicly works by keeping the plug pressed up against the other side, where it is fastened in a 1 mm hole as you can see on the pwnzor paint drawing above. The blue part is the "clamp" and the green is the main plug. The black is of course the 8 pin GFX plug that goes into the psu.

This is the place where the clamp goes in, after the 8 pins have been insertet.

And this is how it looks insertet. I can tell you that it will NEVER come out.. And how do I know this? Beacuse this is a test piece, and I need to get that plug out again-.-

And last but not least, This is a preview of how it will look on the psu itself. Please note that this is not how the final version will look! Final version is much bigger, much smarter, and very clever if I have to say it myself

Just need to go back and readjust the tolerances on the drawing to make some more room for the plugs. They were not exactly easy to get inthere

Hope you enjoyd this update! Stay tuned for the finished part soon!

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

nice! those look sweet

Thank you mate

3 more photo´s because I just got it fittet I need to take 0.25 mm off the "clamp" plates. But that is already done, and the main part will be printet tomorrow

I will be back tomorrow morning

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

Another update :O

Parts as they looked pulled from the printer!

Again,

And as they look with the support material. You can partly see a little "easter egg" I made here

After getting the worst support material off, it looks like this

And this

And this xD The more support material I can "break" off, the less the acid have to melt away.
    And yeah, I really need to cut my nails!

A little size comparison versus a hand that I found lying around.

And then drop it into the acid bath! Looks tasty right? It aint, and it DON'T smell good lol... Like getting a hedgehog shoved up your nose.

Now lets fast forward 15 hours, and the part is ready to take out!

Clean as a whistle

Pics of the finished part. You wont really see the "Made by pope" inthere, but I thought it was a fun little thing to do, even tough it will be covered up And if anyone should steal the case i have proof its mine trololol!

To cover the hole thing up, I cut this plate. The plan is to cut some sort of pattern in it, don´t quite know what yet. I might print this in 3d instead to get a consistant look.

Last but not least, how it sits on the psu.
    "But hey, somethings missing?"
    Yup, the lower part will be done seperatly. And why this?

The top part house only wires that will run to the motherboard, and the lower part is going out to everything else. Why this is a good idea, I will show in a later update, since its hard to explain

Hope you enjoyd! I have more parts in the printer, so another update is on the way!

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

dude that is an AWESOEME idea!!