Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: project M8 (CaseLabs M8 workstation build)

Default Re: project M8 (CaseLabs M8 workstation build)

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    Another amazing build, p0Pe! Sorry I haven't chimed in before now, life's been keeping me pretty busy. I have to say, it looks like you're managing to pull out all the stops again. PC-BETO was awesome and this one looks to be even better.

I have to chime in on this. First off, CNC machining is not killing modding, and it has just as much to do with creativity as a Dremel. It really is a whole different category of modding though, you must admit. Someone with access to the machinery you have access to can create things that people like myself can only dream of or pay someone with access to said machinery to make. Without a ton of money to outsource the labor it would simply not be possible for me to make what you've made here.

Having said that though, even to pay someone else to do it *I* would have to design it. That's the creative part. All of these awesome pieces of this build we're seeing here were made by you, and that is doubly awesome, but even if you paid someone to manufacture them, you created them.

Yes, I'm jealous. I have a hard time imagining being able to create literally any size or shape of part I want. It's probably for the best that I can't.

Regardless, awesome work as always my friend. Carry on!
    Thanks man!

I actually think that i realized what was happening today. I took the newly piece out of the printer, and thought "hmm... A few years ago, this would have costed several hundred thousand of dollars to get made, and I just printed it, like I was ordering a big mac..."

But you are right on the creative part. I just guess I meant that comment for a certain individual on another forum that kept spamming around saying that cnc machines had nothing to do with modding, but you seem to get it.

I always tell people that everything is possible. If you want to make a piece like this, open sketchup, use your imagination and draw it. It does not cost a fortune to get printed, and if you REALLY wanted it done, those 300-600$ would not be an obstruction.

I agree that this is a "different" kind of modding than 100 percent manually work (which I respect insanely), but in the end we all stribe for the same - making the thing noone has seen before

But on to an update! As you have proberly guessed, I want to keep the amount of visible wires in this build to an absolute MINIMUM! That also includes harddrives.

People told me that they liked the way I recorded how I did some of the 3d drawings on pc-beto, so I thought why not do a time-lapse of a thing i had to make anyway. This whas what came out of that.

After 7 hours in the 3d printer, and around 100 cm^3 of material later, this what what i had.

And mounted on the harddrive rack I was very nervous to see if I had gotten all the measurements correct, but as you can see I NAILED it.

And how it looks when slided in. It is made so it will hold itself in place via friction.

A little look on the inside shows how the sata ports is connected. The path for the sata ports needs to be moved slightly to the right, as you can see the sata connector leaning a bit to the left. 0.5 - 1 mm should do it

Power and sata wires will come out the back

And i know i would have gotten my arse kicked if i did not post a picture of it mounted in the case

Thats it for today!
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

ATX Mental Case

Amazing workmanship !

Agrees ---^Great work!

Havn't read it all. But in the end the rack and cable guides will be painted?
    My TBCS worklogs:

HTPC Onkyo look(active!)
    Alien Hospital(on hold) - Chemical Industrial(finished) - Cosmod(finished)
    Other finished projects:
    I-spider - Chemical Overdose - The Praetorian

NICE!!!

very kick ass!!!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

bump?

I like how this is turning out... add me as a plus sub. and good job!!
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by mybadomen View Post
    Amazing workmanship !
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by _ferry_ View Post
    Agrees ---^Great work!

Havn't read it all. But in the end the rack and cable guides will be painted?
    Most likely printed on a better printer in a black or totally white material Tolerances will be messed up if painted

Quote Originally Posted by licenseless View Post
    NICE!!!

very kick ass!!!
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    bump?
    As you wish

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    I like how this is turning out... add me as a plus sub. and good job!!
    Thanks man! Apriciate it!

Sorry for the long time since last update! School has been busy, but now exams are over

Time for a PROPER update! Just finished my last exam, so lets get things going!

First of all a big thanks to Corsair for sending me a heapload of fans to work with! Apriciate it

I am planning to put 3 in the front like this^

Have tapped the fans to fit M5 screws

Fitted two in the bottom, and one in the rear. Beside this, there will of course go 3 to each radiator

Made myself a little helper for when i have to fill her up (no jokes lads)

Screws right into the fill-port, and should make for an easy filling.

The fillport goes right down into the big front reservoir.

In the bottom, there is a drain hole which i had not made in the reservoir yet.

So first drilling a 11 mm hole,

Then tapping it with my trusty G1/4 tap to fit the fittings.

And with a bitspower stop fitting to see if i messed up lol

Now this part, is funky! This will cover up the dvd drive, and route sata cables from the motherboard to the harddrives and ssdīs in the other compartment. It will "click" together with a part on the other side.

Proberly the easiest way to understand it is by this cad drawing.

The sata cables will go like this.

And it will sit in the case like this^

To "lock" the cables on the other side, this part will be clicked in. After the cables are all in, simply click the "smaller" part in to lock the cables in place.

Like this,

And this!

And also got the other large part for the PSU printed

Along with the covers for the two pumps, that also acts as wire routers A hole have been made in the rear to make it possible to get to the speed control.

Now the fun begins -.- cable management which in which i always seem to end up chewing more than i think i can swallow...

First attempt = fail. wires did not fit!

Second attempt, wires fits, but i still need to redo the part, as there is not enough room for them in the top right part

But it looks good, so here is a macro shot

Until next time! Have fun and enjoy the weather

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

Post 1500

Black and white update!

The old 24 pin connector messed up, and i was not able to get the wires routed trough it duo to to much friction between the wires and the part itself, so had to move the hole from the bottom to the top.

14 hours of printing, and 6 hours of acid(bath) later ->

Printed the new 24 pin piece. This time with the opening in the top, instead of bottom. And guess what? The wires slid right in, without ANY violence. Should have done this to begin with, but what the heck.

Another shot from the top.

And with inspiration from Waynio, I made a new PSU grill, not quite done yet. Need stuff for the two last corners.

shot, as it will sit in the case

The evolution of the wire system. from top left you will see:
    1: version 1. that was measured wrong contra the position of the PSU
    2: version 2. that was to small for the wires to fit proper in.
    3: version 3. that was just right, and to the right of that, the cover to cover it all up

And here is last version with the cover on.

All wires fitted in the 24 pin connector piece. I cant decide if i want a clear plate in that hole, so people can see how the wires are routed, or to cover it up completely. Opinions?

Work In Progress

DOOOOOOOOONE! And this time it FITS!

And with the gfx connector.

The wires did JUST barely fit in this. Got lucky lol...

With the "lid" on. Cant even see there is any lol.

Next to my wannabe macro lens

Nī just chillin in da window xD

Until next time, have fun!

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

This build is so crazy. None of this stuff has ever been done before in a case mod. I can't wait to see all this stuff installed in the case.

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

Really incredible work. All the 3d printed parts are simply brilliant. Also, what's the acid bath for? Removing support material?