Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: "Keys open doors" ?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: "Keys open doors" ?

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Then Sony needs to announce that unlocked consoles with custom firmware will be banned permanently from the PSN and after an appropriate time enforce that rule. The hacked consoles must be quarantined to guarantee stability and fairness while preventing piracy and malicious use.
    I completely agree. That's basically what Microsoft does with hacked 360's. Though, I think a dynamic system would be better. IE, instead of banning the MAC from the network forever like Microsoft does, have the PSN login process do a checksum on the kernel or something, and if it detects any changes, don't allow a login. This would allow people to, say, dual-boot their PS3 (or whatever you would call the equivalent with two different firmwares) and get the best of both worlds or re-image their PS3 to a stock firmware and sell it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    I completely agree. That's basically what Microsoft does with hacked 360's.
    Thirded - omg really do we all agree to something?

What I really feel is that Sony (or other similar parties) could potentially be granted a temporary injunction on the publishing of such findings related ONLY to the online portion of such hacks - but I don't feel that any financial damages should be on the cards, and that's a point of law, not fact.

Can we all agree on that too?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    Thirded - omg really do we all agree to something?
    Haha, I was a bit surprised as well. There is common ground at the core.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    What I really feel is that Sony (or other similar parties) could potentially be granted a temporary injunction on the publishing of such findings related ONLY to the online portion of such hacks - but I don't feel that any financial damages should be on the cards, and that's a point of law, not fact.

Can we all agree on that too?
    What I think would have been a good course of action would be something similar to what is sort of the generally accepted 'code of conduct' among information security professionals for dealing with major breaches in a company's security (in this case, the PSN authentication to keep out cheaters/pirates/etc). You contact the company, tell them what you found, point out the security implications, and (ideally) select a mutually agreed upon time period to allow the company to fix the problem before releasing the information to the public. I say ideally because not infrequently the company will either ignore the notice and the researcher(s) just releases the information on whatever date they said in their initial contact, or the company tries to get an injunction against the researcher(s) ever releasing the information...something that to my knowledge has never actually been held up in court. A prime example of this was when the MBTA tried to put a gag order on some MIT students who had broken their fare card system. The students contacted the MBTA, told them what they had found, and when they would be releasing it (both as an academic paper and as a presentation at the Defcon security conference). The MBTA responded by trying to get a gag order on the students that would keep them from ever publishing what they had found. Fortunately, the case was thrown out in the Boston Federal District Court.

...this is of course assuming that the online portions could be separated from the offline portions...which it damn well better be now...you listening Sony?...bah, who am I kidding, they probably just changed the key and are still using the same one for everything ...though that major a change would justify the month-long downtime...maybe they did actually fix it right...I'm not too hopeful, but maybe.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV