Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Win a Shinobi Window and other prizes from BitFenix and TBCS.

Default Re: Win a Shinobi Window and other prizes from BitFenix and TBCS.

It's no big deal. I just wanted them to know what happened. The hammer fixed most of it, and for the most part the chipping paint doesn't show up in the pictures, just on my carpet if you move it around, change builds, etc. I just won't be able to use it for the mod I had in mind, as the amount of cutting would make the chassis far too weak, especially the doors.

I might just go back to my roots and scratch build a case like Project: Nightrain. The last two cases I either started working, or drew out the plan to work on have been let down by metal that is just too thin. I might just get some wood and build it from the ground up and toss a motherboard tray in.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Free case = alot of good internal hardware for a scratch build. I just wish I had one I could have chopped up instead of buying a $60 mobo panel.

True, to an extent. I don't know how the tray would hold up if I took it out of the case. It bends and flexes quite a lot just by pressing a finger against it, and not hard. Putting the stand offs in did the same.

I'm going to use it just as a basic system case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Have the 2 people that won the cables claimed their prizes?
    Yes, I haven't heard if they received their prizes yet. I received PM's from both of them and forwarded them to BitFenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Meh. Gratz anyways. 20 bucks says they don't even claim the prizes because they stopped checking

Rick, I am sorry to hear about the condition of the case, at first I feared the worst. Luckily it doesn't look too bad. (I had envisioned a car wreck of a case.) In any case I am hoping BitFenix will take care of this or at least take the message to heart and figure out a way to prevent this from happening in the future. I appreciate your graciousness and positive attitude.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Yes, I haven't heard if they received their prizes yet. I received PM's from both of them and forwarded them to BitFenix.

color me suprised. Never seen them on here thats why I said that.

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Rick, I am sorry to hear about the condition of the case, at first I feared the worst. Luckily it doesn't look too bad. (I had envisioned a car wreck of a case.)
    It isn't a car wreck, but the side panels took some good hits. I deliberately took angles that didn't show anything for those pictures. Here were a few pictures after I pressed some of what I could out with my hands, but before taking the hammer to it.

It was really hard to get any pictures that showed it off, but it was quite jarring looking at it in person. The windowed panel was twisted and creased in multiple directions. The door wouldn't go back on. The rear panel was pulled outward and twisted as well.

Ultimately, I got it so the door could go back on, and you'd have to try pretty hard to see the damage, though small ball-peen hammer marks are now visible. Every time I move or use it, there are a whole bunch of little black bits all over the carpet, from the corners of the paint. I'm just one of those people though, were if I had purchased this case it would be entirely unacceptable. If I purchase something new it needs to be in new condition. But, being free, I can definitely overlook some flaws.

I have cheaper cases of sturdier construction and build quality. I don't believe this case would keep its shape with the amount of cutting I had in mind for it. It's a great case if you treat it as a premod, complete your build, and just leave it somewhere. It wouldn't do well being carried/moved constantly to lans, nor would it do well to any substantial modding to its physical structure without some kind of substantial reinforcement. If you de-riveted this case, you would be hard pressed to get it to keep its shape to put it back together again.

But a beautiful case though, and I will cherish it.

That's really too bad. I mean, I know free stuff is free stuff, but companies should focus on either thicker sheet metal, or shaped/pressed thinner metal that reinforces itself.

I'm also happy to see that (from the pictures at least) it doesn't look as bad as I imagined, but if tolerances are high then small imperfections can really screw up a case.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I was imagining a case that looked like it was chucked out a window or down a long flight of stairs.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Fresh Paint

Hey all, i have not recieved the cables yet. I will let u know when/ if i get them.